Menu
Loo20
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Overcharged for new handset

Since May 2010 I have used a Nokia 6303 which is on PAYG simply8p plan, all purchased through Virgin. In July 2020 I decided that I needed a new phone, and realised that my Simply8p plan had accrued £20 to use against purchase of a new handset. Following the instructions given I then contacted 789, and spent 45mins on a call to purchase the new device using the £20 & the balance to be paid by credit card. The process did not go smoothly, & the operator had to re-enter the order & my credit card details.  The new handset did arrive a few days later, however, when I got my credit card statement I realised that I had been charged the full price of £220, not £200 as I had expected. After trying to get through on 789  I ended up taking the option of callback/text either from the phone or website. I then endured 3 days & 35 texts answering security questions multiple times - all sent to a 3G phone on a plan with no data usage only to eventually be told that that team could not deal with my issue & I would have to talk to the Sales team. As I did not want to waste another 3 days of my time I called the number provided & eventually spoke to a real person who then transferred me to an accounts team. After I had explained the problem yet again, they said that they would have to review the tape of the phone conversation & would get back to me within 24 hours - that was 1 month ago. How do I simply get the £20 refunded against my credit card?. 

I do not want any credit against my existing Simply8plan, as I intend to move away from that as soon as I can get the new Sim I've been sent for my Nokia to work (subject of another post!) & can port my existing number across.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Overcharged for new handset

Good afternoon @Loo20 

Thank you for taking the time to post. 

I have had a quick look into this and can see that there are notes on your account to back up what you are saying. 

Are you taking out a sim with us when you move your number over? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Loo20
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No !

It is quite clear that Virginmobile do not value PAYG customers who, although not big spenders, have been loyal to the brand for many years.

As soon as I get through the 'new sim' fiasco with my Nokia6303, I will be requesting a PAC code to transfer the number to a new provider.

The only reason I bought the new motorola handset via a 45 minute call to 789  was to make use of the Simply8 Rewards that are clearly shown on my account - if I had not wanted to do that I could have completed the entire process myself within 5 minutes on the website.

Regards

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am going to drop you a PM so that I can get some account information. 

Kind regards 

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Loo20
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to Zak_M..

My account should now be credited with the rewards amount within the next 3 -5 days.

In my experience, it does seem that by posting issues on this Community, something actually moves forward, unlike on Live chat or 789.  

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon @Loo20 

Just wanted to check in and see if you have received the refund as of yet? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Loo20
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Zak_M

I've just checked and the refund has been credited to my account. Thank You.

Now all I've got to do is get the Sim swap for my old Nokia sorted!

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear that we have managed to get this resolved, once again, I am sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused. 

Is the replacement sim you require part of our network migration? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Loo20
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak_M,

Yes. I was sent the new Sim, which does not work in my old Nokia 6303  - details of this have been posted on this community on the large "New Sims" thread.  I am currently awaiting delivery of a replacement handset (delivery was supposed to be in about 5 days from Saturday 22nd August) so I can activate the Sim & then get a PAC code so that I can port the number to a new provider. This whole situation is very frustrating!

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry you've not yet had the replacement phone Loo20, 

We are having a bit of a delay due to the amount of handsets that have been sent, but I'm sure it will be with you ASAP.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos