Menu
abhilashshah
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Out of country - Sim swap

Hi,

I am out of UK and won't return until December 2020. I have been receiving multiple msgs for Sim swapping and I thought existing Sim wouldn't get deactivated.

However I have received this msg today - "Your service will be disrupted within 18 days if you do not swap your SIM. Outgoing and receiving calls, excluding 999, texts and data from this number will stop working. To avoid this disruption, insert the new SIM we sent you. For help, please visit virginmedia.com/simhelp or call us on 789"

Anyone knows if existing Sim will surely get deactivated if Sim is not swapped in next 18 days? 

Thanks. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Out of country - Sim swap

A few posts on this topic. 

Firstly, the old SIM will be deactivated.

Secondly the new SIM can only be delivered to a UK address plus it needs to be activated in the UK

Virgin have been allowing people to nominate someone in the UK to receive and activate the SIM before posting it on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
abhilashshah
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I had looked at responses on similar topic and some said your Sim won't get deactivated unless you swap it with new one. And that's why I am now confused. 

Is there any way to keep the existing Sim active as there is no chance of me returning until Dec 2020.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I seriously doubt it as the old SIM cards use EE's core network and Virgin have to be clear of that before the end of this year.

It is for this reason there is a sudden rush of SIM swaps, something that had been going on since Dec 2017

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The text message is right, the old SIM will be deactivated in 18 days and I am afraid that it cannot be stopped.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos