Menu
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 11 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Re: Oomph Unlimited data SIM - Roam Like Home Fair Use Policy

@jmp1963 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Teabag!!

Not that I don't believe you but just wondering how you knew. I couldn't find that anywhere! Did you ring?

Cheers,

JMP

Also that's the price of the unlimited sim! 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 12 of 60
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote:

That unlimited SIM went up from £27 to £32 quietly, one of the dearest out there now :-(

My personal say, use £32 in the calculator.

Aye! sneeky buggers!

I hope everyone on £27 gets to port out for free - that's a massive rise!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 60
Flag for a moderator

What? Another company starting with V charges £26 an that is with 5G!

Scrub that....It's gone up to £30 within a month of going on the market.

There has been a sharp rise in SIM only since the new porting rules. Looks like the networks want to make a killing.

0 Kudos
jmp1963
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Hi AJ-MMF

I've not used the sim abroad yet but don't expect to be using a great deal of data when I do anyway.

Any problems and I'll report back here!

Cheers,

JMP

teabag
Superstar
Message 15 of 60
Flag for a moderator

There is no harm in resetting roaming on your account before going away, just log into your online account say a week before going away, turn roaming off for 24 hours and then turn back on again.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
roughbeast
Up to speed
Message 16 of 60
Flag for a moderator

@jmp1963 wrote:

I've looked in 'The Legal Stuff' and that doesn't help and I've also tried the fair usage calculator but seeing as the monthly fee for the SIM is incorporated within my package the calculator tells me I would have 0MB of data available when abroad Smiley Frustrated

Can anybody tell me how much data I would get when in the EU?

Thanks,

JMP

I too have had this issue at the top of my mind since I got back from a two-week trip to Keffalania with my family. You might think this an enormous leap of faith, but I threw caution to the wind. On the basis that the Oomph Unlimited data SIM is truly unlimited I set up my Galaxy S10+ as a mobile hot spot for the use of my wife, twin 18-year-old boys and a laptop. During the two weeks we got through almost 200GB of data! Yikes!  The only drawback,so far,  was that there was hell to pay if I left my sons without the phone in range of their devices.  My bill up to 12th August shows no charges. There are none for the remaining days of our holiday up to 15th August either. So, it seems that the SIm is truly unlimited. Well... not quite.

In response to conversations on a thread in another forum a called Virgin Mobile, just to check. Yes, there is a limit of ... 100GB a day.  This is set so high that it might as well be unlimited. Only some kind of maniac would hit that ceiling in one day. (Apologies if you did.) The OP tried to explain where the limit was stipulated, but he could only explain it was in roaming FAQs in my mobile account. I haven't found that yet. I suppose that VM felt there should be some sort of limit to stop some commercial outfit taking ridiculous advantage or ordinary residential retail broadband deals.

BTW Keffalania has excellent 4G coverage from masts on Mount Ainos. Typical download speed C/O VM's enhanced connection was between 30Mb and a full 50Mb. Upstream maxed at 12Mb. 

I hope this helps.

Services: 500Mb / 35Mb, TV V6 box X2, Phone XL Talk unlimited and mobile x4 Routers = SHub 3 in modem only mode with Asus RT-AC88U
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 17 of 60
Flag for a moderator

So you are saying there is a limit of 100GB a day at home or just abroad? Also (and sorry to be a stick in the mud) but it can take up to 3 months for charges to make it back to VM so don't count your chickens just yet.. And if it turns out that you are charged you've just admitted above you did what you did so won't be able to get out of it.

But we will have to see - if nothing has come by your December bill - you've not been charged
0 Kudos
roughbeast
Up to speed
Message 18 of 60
Flag for a moderator

The OP said it was for roaming in the EU. At home it is unlimited. 

However, I had a further call with the 'Concerns' department this time.  The OP was excellent and really tried her best to get an answer. She couldn't find an answer in any documentation. She spoke to her immediate line manager who repeated the view that Roam as at Home meant just that and so no charges have been made or would be made. I asked for documentation that confirmed that, but just as I made that request, the manager of the whole department walked past the OP and was of the view, that a nominal price for the cost of my SIM should be applied, i.e. £25.00. On the calculator that would give me a roaming allowance of 10.74GB.

Naturally, I asked why I hadn't been charged by the system and why I hadn't received a data or credit warning. The manager reported that she didn't know why, but that I wouldn't be charged now or retrospectively, because I had received no data warning or credit warning. I then asked where in my contract or billing details it stated that £25 was the nominal cost of my SIM. She had to admit that this was not stated in either location. (I can hardly believe I am writing this stuff!) Finally, I asked what would happen if I went on holiday in the EU next week and caned my SIM again. Would I be charged? She wasn't sure, but thought I should be.

I wanted all this in writing, so asked her to email me with a full explanation of what my EU roaming allowance really is and why the system doesn't want to charge me for going way over the limit unsuspectingly. Needless-to-say I don't have great hopes that I will be any the wiser.

My next planned EU visit is in May, so we shall see, or perhaps we won't. If we leave the EU with No Deal it probably all ends anyway.

Services: 500Mb / 35Mb, TV V6 box X2, Phone XL Talk unlimited and mobile x4 Routers = SHub 3 in modem only mode with Asus RT-AC88U
roughbeast
Up to speed
Message 19 of 60
Flag for a moderator

I just rang the Oomph Team (Sheffield based) and spoke to an op named Simon. The Oomph Team are fully trained up on all aspects of Virgin Media's service and are able to answer 99.9% of your problems and troubleshoot similarly. This is the definitive answer. 

The Oomph unlimited SIM is truly unlimited at home and in the EU. There will be no charges for my usage and no charges if I went and did exactly the same tomorrow. (See above) I asked Simon to check this with his peers and his manager. He did so and also checked with the manager for the whole unit. This is now a 100% definitive answer. The Oomph SIM is a truly unlimited at home and in the EU. It is unique in that respect. He is now going to approach all the other departments I spoke and texted with, to tell them this. Their information is not up-to-date. Simon apologised for all the confusion.

teabag
Superstar
Message 20 of 60
Flag for a moderator

That does sound interesting/good :-)

Wonder if the other Oomph SIM's are same or not?.  ie: £20 Oomph SIM has 50GB data - use all 50 in EU or just the 8.59GB the fup calculator says?.

Maybe the Oomph "terms and conditions" need changing, as they say use in EU is governed by the Roam Like Home fup terms  https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/FMC-terms-and-condi...

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos