Menu
DannClose
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Oomph 5G

Hello!

Can someone contact me in regards to moving my oomph sim over to a 5G one?

Spoke to someone earlier who said i had to move to a 24 month handset contract for 5G, or wait. 

I'm paying for an oomph sim i dont really need, and as my contracts due to end with EE, im considering moving over to Virgin. Im aware theres no 5G in my home postcode but i work across the city, and theres a lot of 5G at work!

If someone can get this sorted so i can trial it before the full move, i'd appreciate it! 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Oomph 5G

The Oomph SIM is technically a free addition to your Broadband package and can be used or not. Removing the SIM will change that package.

You don't have to take out another handset for 5G as it is available on SIM only. However, you will invariably end up paying more than you are now for both combined.

Other than that it is wait till Virgin transition you across to Vodafone in the future. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DannClose
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So, i've spoke to someone today, they've told me they're sending me a new 5G sim on my oomph package.. I dont hold much hope, as she said this is "supposed to work"
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

All the SIM cards issued on Oomph in the last couple of years will work on 5G. 

What has to happen is Virgin have to transition you their end by moving you off EE and on to Vodafone 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
DannClose
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The plot thickens! 

So i got this sim in 2020, So it should be 5G?!

So the replacement sim will do nothing then?!

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is capable of being switched to 5G as it has happened already to people on here.

Whether the agent gets your account transitioned in the meanwhile is another matter.

The knowledge over 5G by some of the outsourced agents is poor to say the least.

Easiest way to tell 5G is enabled whilst in a none 5G area is to do a network search. If you see Virgin and Vodafone you are 4G but if you see Virgin and EE you are 5G. 

On 5G you should also be able to use VoLTE 

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi DannClose, thanks for your post - sorry for any confusion when getting in touch about your SIM & 5G.

If you have any problems or need any assistance please get back to me via PM and I'll take a look into it.

Tom

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for getting back to me DannClose.

I've explained the details in a PM but in general terms for the thread - If customers upgraded to Ultimate Oomph after January 25th when 5G was launched they should already be on Vodafone and have access to 5G. If it was prior to that, then they  will need to (re-contract) to a frontbook 12 or 24 month SIM Only plan - or wait to be automatically migrated later this year.

Tom 

0 Kudos
DannClose
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Pretty crappy service really..

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi @DannClose,

I am really sorry to hear that you feel this way, and we do apologise for any inconvenience.

If there's anything else that we can assist you with at all, feel free to reach back out to us here on the community forums again. Alternatively, all of our other contact information can be found here.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos