Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Only getting 2G connection

Just signed up for the Ultimate Oomph package and got my free SIM.

I'm using it alongside my current giffgaff SIM. I have the Virgin SIM in slot 1 and giffgaff in slot 2.

My giffgaff SIM works fine on 4G but the origin SIM only wants to find a 2G connection, leaving me stuck on Edge speeds or GPRS.

I've entered all the APN settings manually and tried searching for the 4G network via a manual roam but to no avail: only 2G networks show. I'm stuck with the dreaded 'E'!

Virgin is my preferred data SIM, too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Only getting 2G connection

2 questions

1. Is this everywhere or just one location?

2. What happens when you change slots?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Same no matter which SIM slow they're in (Virgin was originally slot 2).

Same when I was at home and when we went shopping around 15 miles away earlier today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

GiffGaff is an O2-MVNO so although if O2 have 4G, then EE/VM *should*, they are ultimately different networks so that - although indicative - means not much more.

Can you test your Virgin SIM in another device to prove/disprove whether there's not something bizarre going on between this device and EE/Virgin?

It's most likely to be something awry either with your account setup (which VM can hopefully identify and rectify) or some issue with the device (which a SIM swap would prove in an instant)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hmm. It's my dad's phone which is having the issue, and I just swapped the SIM over to my phone and I got 4G instantly.

I guess it's something odd between his phone and EE/Virgin which I'll have to look into further.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Update!

Turns out removing the giffgaff SIM and inserting the Virgin SIM into slot 1 allowed me to change to 4G. I had to manually register onto the EE 4G network, still.

After, I put the giffgaff SIM back in and it all worked fine.

Seems like the phone had a bit of a faff connecting to Virgin while the GG SIM was in but works fine after.