Menu
palmyra08
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Online complaint form does not allow commas and colon

When filling in the description field of the complaint form, it brings up red error message under the 900 character text field: characters : and , are not allowed.

Seriously? As a software professional, I would suggest somebody to go back to school - this is so absurd it is beyond laughter, it is simply painfully funny. 

Virgin Media, hello, Earth calling - could you please employ somebody with absolute minimum website design skills or use a pre-existent standard text form object that allows fundamentally needed characters of English text.

This is the most symbolic and splendid illustration of your competence, ever.

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Online complaint form does not allow commas and colon

From time top time there crop up a small number of superbly crafted posts that absolutely nail one of VM's many (and often easily avoidable) digital, customer service or communication issues.  Your post should be added high up in that virtual hall of fame.  I particularly enjoyed a recent contribution that summed up VM's web presence as "a Kafkaesque nightmare of circular references and broken links".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

palmyra08
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

🙂 thank you... I am just astonished by the downright idiocy of their websites. I am sure they can come up with some incredible reply or waffle, but in 2020, there is simply nothing to discuss  when a text field on a website for free text entry cannot allow commas and colons. 

It is just... I can't find a polite word for it. I had to try several times to convince myself I am not hallucinating and this absolutjely diabolically idiotic feature exists in all their text fields on that complaint form.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Regrettably, with Corvid being in schools Year 5 computing group have not been able to work on Virgin's Web offering for some time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

palmyra08
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I genuinely would like to know how it is possible to write a webpage like this, as I am pushing 50 and never ever seen anything so idiotic - and been programming since my mid-teens. NEVER encountered a free text field on an input page of a user interface that could not take commas.

This took some very erudite level of stupidity to make it like this.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Lots of it about. When I programmed a database field where letters has to be in upper case we always did it so typed in lower case would convert. That was 30 years ago.  Been on 2 government websites recently where this is not the case

palmyra08
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wow. What gets me is that if they used any ready-made script or service, none would have such moronic problem. But for a media / comms company, this is just... what's the word... stupendous.

0 Kudos
Bengie
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply and the explanation Virgin, I honestly thought invisible ink went out years ago.

pumas
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

capital letter how comma did you get round it question mark open round bracket smiley face close round bracket

palmyra08
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Indeed... I had the dilemma of using some workaround that will not be understood by someone with half neuron working (clearly, based on all previous experience)  or make it almost unintelligible by using e.g. dash instead of comma. I settled for the latter.

0 Kudos