Menu
heraldic
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Old mobile numbers cut off

I had three V mobiles, two of which were PAYG for emergencies. These now don't work and the money has been appropriated by Virgin. What can I do?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old mobile numbers cut off

Hello

When was the last chargeable call or text made, as if a PAYG SUM isn't used to do either of these then the number is terminated as per the terms and conditions state that to retain a PAYG number a chargeable call / text has to be made every 90 days.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/our-service#3

3.8 Keep talking!: You need to use our Services at least once within any 90 day period either by making a chargeable call or sending a text message. If you don’t we may suspend your access to the Services and cancel this Agreement. If we cancel this Agreement, you may lose your phone number and any unused Top Up credit on your account (see Clause 10.3). We don’t really want to lose you as a customer so please ensure you keep talking or texting!

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Also if you have an older SIM then these are being swapped out for new ones.

Any registered accounts had texts, emails and letters about this.

For PAYG customers that haven't registered their address details, then texts have been sent to understand where to send the SIM to. However the older SIMs will still be deactivated after period of time if no response was received.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
heraldic
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Two of the phones/numbers hadn't been used apart from to check the battery is charged. I received a letter from Virgin abou main number (for 25 years), nothing about others, but of course it won't because the line's been stopped . Doesn't seem right to terminate number and remove credit, even if it's a small amount

I'd be less bothered avout that if Virgin wasn't using its customers to spend hours messing about with SIMs. I know you'll say it takes five min, but it doesn't to people who just want a phone that doesn't lose all its contacts, call log, vids, etc.

0 Kudos
heraldic
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think a lot of customers trying to change SIM (Medion 5005 Android in this case) need to know which files and extensions need to be moved/backed up, which directory they  were in and should be to swap. Also are there any hidden files.

With that info surely it would be easy to move the basics, eg, contacts, call log, videos, sounds?

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There is nothing like that on a SIM. All a SIM card can hold is a limited number of contacts and SMS messages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_card#SMS_messages_and_contacts

However most Android and iOS devices store these on the device or SD card, and not the SIM.

The letters that go out with the SIM cards do remind customers to back up any contacts on the SIM and point people to the the device help page (https://devicesupport.virginmedia.com/) that Virgin Media have to help with that where possible.

0 Kudos
heraldic
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

But if I plug the phone into Windows Explorer it shows files and directories for jpgs, MP, etc, so isn't there a file i can move for call records and contacts? And can I just insert the new SM alongside the old one and copy the files needed?

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

All the files and folders you see are on the device, not the SIM card. Android will expose those to Windows as they're part of the files that are regularly copied from a computer to a mobile device.

Contacts are saved differently. Here's Google's help about contact management including guidance about how to copy contacts into a format that can be saved from the SIM to a device or in a file format for use elsewhere

https://support.google.com/contacts/answer/1069522?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=1 

On most current Android devices, they don't save anything to the SIM by default, so you can always swap SIMs without losing any data at all. But if you do have contacts on the SIM, copying them to device first will then allow the SIM swap without data loss.

0 Kudos
heraldic
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How about a clear, concise step by step, written, guide to doing the swap, from Virgin, because that's what we're paying for, not google.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That is in the letter that comes with the SIM card. Website that's mentioned in the letters for help is here www.virginmedia.com/simhelp

But the above is for where the SIM is being swapped and the service continuing. If the SIMs have been deactivated due to the PAYG rules then that's a different situation and I'm not sure that they will be able to reactivated.

0 Kudos