Menu
Rich10
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Old Samsung phone new sim

Like so many others I have an old  (dumb) phone model, Samsung SGH-C300, which I am having trouble getting working with the new SIM sent by Virgin as part of their forced upgrade. On installing the new SIM I simply get "Wrong card" on the screen. Does anyone know how to overcome this? My accompanying Virgin letter included 2 unlock codes. Can for example various *#7465625..... commands be used, or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Old Samsung phone new sim

Hi Rich10, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Very sorry that you're having issues with the SIM, this isn't good. 

We can certainly have a look if the unlocking codes we've sent aren't working, so I'll pop you a personal message now and we'll take it from there. 

I look forward to hearing back from you soon

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Rich10
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. I do not know whether or not the unlock codes Virgin sent work or not as I am unable to enter them. As I tried to explain in my post, on inserting the new SIM I simply get a screen saying "wrong card" and I am unable to proceed further.  (My existing SIM works fine).

I would appreciate please specifically to know either how to proceed past this "Wrong Card" screen which the new SIM produces and if necessary be able to enter these codes, or perhaps some other alternative solution to getting the new SIM to work on the phone.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

All I can come up with. Has to be done with no SIM in handset

owever, with many non-android phones you may need to check which lock(s) are active on the handset first. This is so you know which code to enter to unlock it.

How To Check Which Lock Needs Unlocking On Your Samsung Phone:

1. Turn on your phone without a sim inserted
  2. Type * # 7 4 6 5 6 2 5 # this will display which lock is active
    (An easier way to remember this is * # S I M L O C K # )
  3. Doing this will display a screen similar to the example below, ON means that particular lock is locked, OFF means it's not locked :

Network Lock [ON]
    Network Subset Lock [OFF]
    SP Lock [ON]
    CP Lock [OFF]

If only the Network lock is displayed saying ON then you will only need to use the NCK code with the instructions below.

If you see the Subset lock value as ON then you will need the SCK code and if you see the SP lock value as ON you will need the SPCK code.

How to enter specific unlock codes

• Once you know which lock(s) is active, you can now enter the specific code for it, as follows:

If your phone says the NET lock is ON then you need to do this without a SIM inserted: # 7 4 6 5 6 2 5 * 6 3 8 * NCKCODE #

If your phone says the SP lock is ON then you need to do this without a SIM inserted: # 7 4 6 5 6 2 5 * 7 7 * SPCKCODE #

If your phone says the Subset lock is ON then you need to do this without a SIM inserted: # 7 4 6 5 6 2 5 * 7 8 2 * SCKCODE #

Once all locks are OFF, your phone is unlocked.

I suspect only the Network lock will be on

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Rich10
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. Much appreciated.

On starting the phone without a SIM I get a screen saying "Insert SIM card". When I now type in  * # 7 4 6 5 6 2 5 #  to see what is locked, immediately on entering the second # I get a pop-up screen saying "SOS call only". How do I proceed please?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm stuck then. Not a model I'm familiar with, I'm afraid.

Not sure Virgin will have anyone that knows either. It's not in the official manual

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Rich10
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you again. In case I manage by some miracle to eventually get beyond this initial screen, can you tell me something about the 2 unlock codes Virgin sent me in their letter. They did not identify what they were, but simply referred to them as code 1 and code 2 to be entered in that order. Which unlock codes exactly are each of these in terms of the types you listed?

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely no idea  I've unlocked a few handsets over they years and only ever needed 1 code.

I can only speculate that the first is NCK and the second SPK.

I may even be wrong on the unlock method. Unlike Nokia that used the same method for a number of years Samsung seemed to have more than one even at the same time.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Had a look at the specifications and it appears to run Java firmware. It is coming to light that this is causing compatibility issues with the new SIM cards.

As the cards can't be altered and Java phone firmware went defunct some years ago I would suggest you only 2 options are: a) Change the phone or b) move network 

Sorry I can't be positive

0 Kudos
Rich10
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm most grateful for you taking the time to check this. Are there any links you could provide to the info you have found? Thank you again for your assistance.

0 Kudos