Menu
phil_nokia
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear, another Nokia bites the dust

Hi guys,

Sadly I am back, with yet another tale of Nokia woe. But a different tale this time, but still same issue I suppose.

Anyway, my main phone is a Nokia RM 1111, it has limited internet access, but isn’t a smart phone, it can’t handle SMS, and doesn’t handle picture messages very well, even though it has a camera. I put in the new Virgin sim a few months ago, nice and easy, all was working fine. Then this Monday (7th December), I was out, checked the phoned, which I had already used to send a text whilst out, and saw the dreaded message “SIM not valid”

I waited until the following morning to see if just a network issue, checked online, nothing seemed to be flagged up. I wanted to see where the problem was, so I swapped sim with the Energizer mobile I got from Virgin to replace my really old Nokia, PAYG, which couldn’t work at all with the new sim (thanks again to all the people who help sort that issue, not the ideal solution but at least I had a working phone). The main sim worked fine in the Energizer and the PAYG  sim worked fine in the Nokia (phoned 789 and got my balance just to confirm phone could ring out and that the sim was recognised). So at that point, both sims appeared to be valid and the Nokia appeared functional. I then swapped the sims back and lo and behold the Nokia was now working, replied to a text, all fine. But today (Wednesday 9th), checked Nokia, and yep, you guessed it, “Sim not valid” was back, it was fine 30 minutes before that.

I assume that the network changes promised have finally gone through and I rather suspect Virgin were expecting the proverbial to hit the fan.

I have put the main sim in the Energizer for now, simply because I need that number operational. But I really want to get the Nokia back up and running, very familiar with it and it has features I use which are not on the Energizer.

A major oversight was when I got the Nokia up and running, I didn’t think about it going kaput again, so I didn’t copy the contacts to the new sim.

So my main question is: is this Nokia also dead now on the Virgin network, even though it has worked for the last few months with the new sim? And if so, how can I copy my contacts on to the sim if the phone won’t allow me back in?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Phil Doak

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Oh dear, another Nokia bites the dust

Hi phil_nokia

Thanks for posting and apologies for the delayed reply.

Have you got this sorted since posting? Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
phil_nokia
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_GS,

Thanks for getting back to me at this very difficult time. I seem to be able to solve the problem of the invalid sim, by swapping the sims then swapping back. Once the old Nokia gets the sim back, it clears the problem, I did copy my contacts to the sim. I think the problem may be related to roaming, I very seldom send photos from my phone, but tried yesterday and was getting some weird message about roaming being turned off, never had before. I couldn't send the photo, but in trying to change the roaming settings, when I set it to international, after trying all other options, it totally crashed and gave me the invalid sim message. I couldn't undo the change, the phone was totally stuck, so had to do the swap sim business. I don't travel, the roaming options are in Virgin options, which I never go into, so I've never had any reason to change nor would I have changed them by accident.

I'm going to look up the roaming issue, but if you know that it as causing an issue would be nice to know.

Happy new year,

Phil Doak

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Phil,

Thank you for coming back to us, I have looked into the roaming message on your Nokia while in the UK and wasn't able to find any like issues so it does point to your specific handset, have you tried doing a factory reset on the handset to see if this helps .

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
phil_nokia
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

Thanks, I'll look into the factory reset, especially now I've got the contacts on both phone and sim. All I came across in looking up the roaming issue was someone on this forum saying they had to go through '6 sims before they got one that didn't think they were roaming in the the UK', roughly quoitng. But I have no idea how relevant that issue is to either of the problems I've had.

All the best for 2021, let's hope it's better, well, be hard to be worse, I'm already wishing my friends a happy new, for 2022!

Phil

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just to say some older phones show the roaming symbol. It is prevalent on early android and some Nokia devices. This is due to the unique nature of Virgin SIM cards which are programed by Proximus of Belgium. Older devices can't work out the difference between working in the UK and working abroad.

These SIM cards also throw up problems with the latest iPhones when they suddenly think they are in Belgium!

The roaming Symbol showing in the UK does not have any effect for all practical reasons.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
phil_nokia
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Enlli,

Makes sense, could have been worse, phone could have converted to Japanese (accidently did that once on a computer a very very long ago).

Phil

0 Kudos