cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 / Virgin Media Volt - Very slow speeds

Skot4th
On our wavelength

As part of my renewal with Virgin Media, I was offered an unlimited data 5G SIM.  The purpose of the SIM was to use in my car as a personal hotspot for any devices I may have (Dash cam, phones, kids tablets, etc.) however the speeds seem terrible on this and I am now considering cancelling.

Although the SIM is "5G" I am using it on a 4G MiFi router.  On EE I recieve about 60MBPS.  On O2, 4Mbps.

Why so low? Do O2 limit download speed on tethered devices or is it another issue? Upload is about 15Mbps, so much better suggesting it's not an issue with the 4G coverage.

5 REPLIES 5

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Skot4th,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

Sorry to hear you are not receiving the speeds you expect via your Mobile data. Appreciate that must be incredibly frustrating!

Are there any known issues showing on the coverage checker?

Have you been able to use the SIM in a handset to see if the issue persists?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

1. O2 don't like you using their SIM card in such routers except for a short time.

2. Your slow data speeds are typical in many areas on O2. (I've been testing this across the country since April.)

O2 already had too many subscribers in some areas for the bandwidth on offer, and now they have added another 10% via Virgin 

Don't expect improvements soon.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Skot4th, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the speeds. You can see more information here

Can you try the sim in a Mobile handset to see  if you are still getting the same issue? 

Please see the Ofcom coverage checker here to see how the signal is in the area?

Kind regards, Chris. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Skot4th wrote:

Although the SIM is "5G" I am using it on a 4G MiFi router.  On EE I recieve about 60MBPS.  On O2, 4Mbps.

This is of no surprise. There will always be local differences with mobile networks, it's the nature of the beast.

But on a national level, the 4 main networks do generally get rated the same order. EE are generally maintaining "best network" with VF/3 fighting for second place.

That leaves fourth place. The reasons are numerous, but generally revolve around spectrum & capacity rather than strictly coverage.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
  • I get 2.5 Mbps at home. O2 tell me there are no problems!

Admittedly better elsewhere but usually slower than my Vodafone SIM.

Only good thing is I don't pay for the O2 one.