Menu
nicosuarez
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not receving SMS via WiFi

Hi,

I have a Samsung S10 and I am having issues receiving SMS vis WiFi.
I have very bad reception where we live, but was thrilled to receive today my first WiFi call. I had no idea we could use that feature on VM. I am now able to place and receive calls over WiFi.

However, I tried sending and receiving SMS which only worked partially. Tried sending an SMS, and worked like a charm. Tried replying form the other device, and message was sent, but never received.

I've read like 50 different blogs about WiFi text messaging and haven't been able to find a solution.

Would someone know what is going on?

Thanks!

Nick

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not receving SMS via WiFi

I'm not sure where Virgin stand on this with it being new. Some UK networks support it other's don't 

I'm on Voxi and that has no Wifi calling yet but I am able to send using the latest Messages App from Google which connects via their RCS server. Don't know if that works with Virgin

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've tried this on my own S10+ which has WiFi Calling enabled and I've been able to send and receive text messages to an iPhone without issue.

There aren't any settings to configure for WiFi. It should basically either work or it not.

All I can think of is to check the formatting of the number in both phones and any dial assist features that may be turned on.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Google's messages app, that works well for me on virgin. You can see in other Google messages users, it says chat message instead of SMS in the user conversation.

Had no trouble sending SMS messages since WiFi calling came in, but I have no way of telling if the messages send via WiFi or mobile network.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to note that RCS isn't supported on iOS (just as iMessage isn't on Android), which is why I did it from Android to an iPhone as it will definitely have been via SMS
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
nicosuarez
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all for trying to help!

I still have the same issue.... I will call VM to see if there is anything they can do on their end.

Will let you know if sorted.

0 Kudos
alecf1
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

i assume not sorted? realised today this was why i wasn’t getting some smses, even with a new sim. this is on iphone 7 with ios14 which appears should be supported.

0 Kudos