Menu
DerekH14
Tuning in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Not receiving 5G

Please can a member of the team contact me. As far as I'm aware- my Oomph package mobile was transferred to the existing SIM in my phone (Nokia 8.3) I was told I was now all set up for 5G but have never had a 5G signal - The Oomph SIM I was sent is still in its packing - should that have been used and my number transferred over to the new SIM card? Totally confused to be honest..

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not receiving 5G

Hi @DerekH14

Thanks for posting this on here and sorry to hear you're having some issues. 

So with the 5G SIM, not all areas will have 5G there are certain areas that will have 5G, you can find out more about the coverage with this link here

In regards to the Oopmh SIM, was this the one they told you would be the 5G sim, as if so, then yes you would need to transfer SIMS and use the Oomph SIM in your package. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DerekH14
Tuning in
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sasha... Thanks for your reply. I have tried my phone in both Stockport and Lancaster city centres and cannot receive a 5G signal even though you list that there is coverage in these areas.

I was told by the call centre that my existing SIM card was 5G compatible, but as I've said I've never had a 5G signal. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Can you do a manual network search. If it shows EE then the likelihood is you are on Vodafone 5G. If it shows Vodafone you are still on EE with no 5G

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DerekH14
Tuning in
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

EE is listed as one of the networks but when I select it it says can't connect and reverts back to Virgin mobile. Vodafone option is not on the list.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Then you have been moved to Vodafone and should get 5G

Go into Settings Mobile Networks and make sure 5G is selected

Screenshot_20210607-185714_Call settings.jpg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
DerekH14
Tuning in
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I don't have the option to select 5G ( My phone is 5G compatible) Nokia 8 3....

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@DerekH14 wrote:

I don't have the option to select 5G ( My phone is 5G compatible) Nokia 8 3....

Thought it was Android. Those are Android Settings. Should be able to turn 5G on and off. 

0 Kudos
DerekH14
Tuning in
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

It is Android - I only have option if 3G or 4G in Preferred Network type. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi DerekH14,

Thanks for posting and sorry for any confusion regarding your mobile and signal.

There may not be 5G available in your area yet, this could be why it isn't showing as an option. 

It sounds like you may not have a 5G compatible SIM, I'll pop you over a private message so I can get a few more details from you to check (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos