Menu
LooseElastic
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Not a happy Bunny

I've just bought Five 4GB £6/month sims for family and friends, only to find out, despite Sales telling me wifi calling would work, that it doesn't. It may be enabled, but my phone, which many family and friends use, OnePlus 6, doesn't show it. Its not as if the OnePlus is an unknown phone. Really **bleep** off, I should have known better then to trust Virgin. EE works perfectly, the only reason for moving was the sim value. Ah well, back to EE.

0 Kudos
vmrunreliable
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not a happy Bunny

Works fine on my phone.

0 Kudos
crany
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If sales told you that wifi calling would work you should call and ask to return them as misold, or you can use your 14days cooling off to return the sims.

you can go here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/wifi-and-4g-calling to find out more about wifi calling and the supported devices, I looked and no OnePlus devices are listed.

It also says they only guarantee that it will support our WiFi Calling If you brought the supported devices from them so if your over the 14 days your out of luck as im sure it will say all this in the small print and the wifi calling will work if the sim is put into a supported device.

So if that is the case your best way to get out of the contract is to go down the missold line and you would be best to do a subject access request to get the call recordings if it was recorded as evidence of this.
0 Kudos
LooseElastic
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I'm aware of the 14 days. I also had an online chat with OnePlus and they confirmed, for what its worth, they are in conversation with Vodafone/Virgin about getting their phones on the "approved" list. How long that is going to take, is anybody's guess, if true.  Luckily 4 of the sims are for cost conscious usage and its the data and calls on the move which is the priority. WiFi calling  would have been the icing on the cake, because in all cases, there is no dominant base station signal and mobile usage is poor at home. In my case, I'm stuck between two main base stations, one east, one west with no dominance. WiFi calling using a home mesh is my solution. We won't go down the route of my west main base station ceasing in a few months time, which no doubt, will throw a few spanners in the works, unless a few more are added or upgraded to compensate when it goes. Time will tell. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You can buy mobile booster sets that work well to boost the signal in a residential property, if the money is available.   I'm not referring to the cheap, usually illegal and often ineffective crap that you'll find on large internet trading sites, but proper, regulatory-approved hardware that is fit and forget.  You're looking at a cost of around £350,, and if that appeals search for a company called Wave Boosters, and give them a call to discuss your requirements.

Its a lot of cash for most people, but a decent installation will last for many years.  If it means you can ditch the landline you might even recover some of the cost from landline rental savings.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos