cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Registered On Network

antonysevans
Tuning in

My wife and I each have a mobile. The signal in our apartment was never great, but we could use calls over WiFi ok. Then, around Nov 21 both phones kept constantly showing "refreshing sim data" or if I tried to phone "not registered on network". If I go outside and get a signal, then back into the apartment, WiFi calling works for a while but eventually drops out again.

The refreshing sim data completely drains our batteries every night. This still happens if I turn off WiFi, but not if I turn airplane mode on. I even changed my battery for a new one, but it still drains...

Tried all the suggestions I've seen, but no joy.

30 REPLIES 30

ItsJamieLike
On our wavelength

We have two phones on our account and one of the phones used to work fine but we get Refreshing Sim Data, all the time. Multiple agents in the past have said this is a faulty sim card however this phone is now on its 3rd Simcard unfortunately. 

Wi-fi calling also didn't work. May be a consideration in the future for replacement sims, or see if you can get e-sims if your phone lets you. 

Jamie 

Thanks Jamie,

It definitely seems to be sim related, because I eventually managed to get WiFi calling working on my phone (took a lot of changing settings and restarting). But I can't seem to do the same with my wife's (both used to work).

However, when I put my sim in my wife's phone wifi calling works straight away.

Tony

Hmm, so I went out today and changed from 2G to LTE/3G/2G (auto connect) because my data Internet was too slow.

Guess what, when I got home wifi calling stopped working, even after I changed back to 2G only.

I think we are lucky, because when I go out to our landing I can get a signal AND able to connect t to our WiFi. So I changed back to 2G, restarted, and switched WiFi calling back on and it worked....

So, I tried my wife's sim in my phone, tried everything but #failed to get WiFi calling.

So

I need to remember to switch back to 2G only before I get home, while ive still got signal, to get WiFi calling to work.

I also need to get a new sim for my wife. Not sure if its worth it, she can't speak and it's only there as a backup in case mine doesn't work. It never leaves the apartment.

If I do want a new one, how do I get one?

As an aside, a tip for anyone with refreshing sim draining battery (if WiFi calling works). Put airplane mode on, but then switch WiFi on. You can still make/receive calls and use wifi.

SOLVED

So, after days of trying every setting I could think of, I couldn't get WiFi calling to work on my wife's sim, on her phone or my S10e.

I called Virgin to order a new sim and a really helpful lady, Gee, asked me to turn off the phone. She said the setting on the sim did not have WiFi calling enabled. She made a change, I restarted the phone and it worked straight away..

It was the last thing I expected, because it worked until Nov 21, which coincided with the last Android update on her S9.

Hi @antonysevans thanks for getting back to us.

Also, thanks for confirming that your issue was resolved and sharing what that resolution was.

Regards

Lee_R

K_8888
Tuning in

The same Virgin sim I used on my previous Samsung won't work in my new Samsung s22 - it works temporarily and then almost after every call or so often I have to reboot the mobile connection. Any help on how to register the sim to the network on this device? I have tried the standard stuff of re-inserting the sim, rebooting and airplane mode.

Hello K_8888

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with current sim card.  
I'd like to take a look into this for you.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Thanks Gareth. I have responded. If I could get some help asap that would be great.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @K_8888,

Thanks for coming back to us. I can see that my colleague has gotten back to your message. Please respond when you can so they can assist further. 🙂

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Paulina_Z, I have responded already and am waiting to hear back. The problem is still occurring so it would be great to resolve asap.