Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Non cancellation of a cancelled contract

There are/were 3 mobile phones in our household.

One each  for me, my husband and adult son. They each have a separate account reference and are paid from one bank account.

Our son left home last October , and in April I  cancelled his contract as he wished to move to another supplier, I  did this all online. I asked for him to take his number, but when I spoke with him he said he had decided NOT to take the number so would just let the code for it expire. He was texted all the required information, but I have since deleted that text from my phone, but I had made a note on paperwork that I would expect the last bill to be in May.

I have recently discovered that the airtime bill of £11.77 has continued to be deducted and tried to sort this out. I rather think I got onto the wrong department as I have been getting the most odd and nonsensical e mails, which seem to be in relation to the landline, and referring to "chats" that I have not had (unless an email has become a "chat") Nevertheless the situation is not resolved.

The help sections give me no answers and as a pensioner I cannot continue paying, so I have cancelled the direct debit at the bank as I had warned I would. I noticed I still got a bill for November so nothing is resolved. Help..... there seem to be no live chat lines and I am not sure who I should call.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Non cancellation of a cancelled contract

I think I can see the problem here. On asking to leave you obtained a PAC code. Once issued that became the means of closing the account. The code is valid for 30 days, but if it isn't used then the account carries on running as it is assumed you intend to stay. (This is not just a Virgin thing, it is how the PAC system is designed to operate.)

First thing is to prevent more payments going out. If you have access to his online account then request a STAC Code. You son can then give this to his new supplier providing it is not Virgin. Nothing will happen to his new account but once applied the Virgin account closes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, we have now done as you said. As I said the direct debit was cancelled by me, so the November payment is outstanding. Do you think there is any chance of getting that cancelled, or any of the other back? Or should I just pay it and put it down to experience and take the loss of 6 monthly payments.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

In reality you will find it easier to take the hit.

When it comes to these things Virgin are not the easiest of companies to deal with. Lots of hassle 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I rather thought as much. They have been hard work in the past and this has already been something of a nightmare. Thank you for your speedy help and advice, I will make a one off payment for November bill and then forget about it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately trying to deal with Virgin Mobile by phone has been a nightmare for several years. I was a VM customer from around early 2000 but about 3 years ago, the culmination of numerous issues that were always down to VM's incompetence I ended up moving 3 monthly contract deals to another provider... I had my own phone, plus both my daughters' phones all in my name and paid by direct debit from my bank account. Their attitude has always been terrible, even letters posted to a named Director at 3 different addresses (Trowbridge, London and Birmingham) went unanswered. At least when they had shops I could go in and get issues resolved promptly, even if those issues should never had arisen if they had been a half-competent company to deal with