Menu
Terrymac999
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Non Existent Service in House

Hi

i have just taken out a Sim only deal as an existing broadband customer and waiting for my Giffgaff number to be ported over 

the problem is in my house I am getting one bar service and fluctuating between 4G and E to No Service

The agent on sign up informed that I would be able to use WiFi calling but this does not seem to be available as an option in my phone. Any help would be appreciated as service is worse than giffgaff 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Non Existent Service in House

It may be worth checking your coverage via the OFCOM site. 

You will have to use indoor coverage for EE. However, Virgins coverage is not quite the same as as EE as they do not have access to 800Mhz 4G with better indoor penetrative

Using 3G may give you a better picture

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Terrymac999
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply I have Green Ticks for EE Network but service indoors is terrible and that is the reason I moved away from Giffgaff as they use O2

I explained this to the Virgin Agent and he assured me I would be able to use WiFi calling but it doesn’t seem to be available 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What phone do you have? Wifi Calling on Virgin is limited to Samsung and iPhones with up to date firmware 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@enlli wrote:

It may be worth checking your coverage via the OFCOM site. 

You will have to use indoor coverage for EE. However, Virgins coverage is not quite the same as as EE as they do not have access to 800Mhz 4G with better indoor penetrative

Using 3G may give you a better picture

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

Just to clarify what enlli is getting at here, but to explain for the benefit of the thread.

EE provide 4G on multiple frequency bands, but in many areas they use 800Mhz to provide "extended range" coverage which can make a real difference - this is only available to direct customers of EE & BT-Mobile due to valid technical restrictions.

The Ofcom coverage checker includes this extended coverage in its predictions, and in locations where EE have 800Mhz coverage, this can lead to inaccurate coverage predictions for any of the "virtual" providers who piggyback on EE's network. If you search the Ofrom site for non-4G coverage, this will eliminate this. The Virgin Mobile coverage checker at https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/coverage-checker should also allow for this, I also have a few other ways to check 😉

0 Kudos
Terrymac999
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have and IPhone 6 running IOS 12.4.8 but WiFi calling is not an available option for some reason 

0 Kudos
Terrymac999
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tried your link but just get a continuous spinning waiting to load wheel

Do you think an external aerial with booster and internal antenna would solve the problem

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

External antennas can of course improve signal, but they don't come cheap - you're probably looking at a 3-figure bill to have one properly installed.

If all providers are giving poor signal in the same location, it's clearly the only option. If other providers (I include EE-direct in that comparison, due to the reasons previously explained) will give you better coverage without recourse to such expense, that seems to me a better option - but it's not me choosing or paying.

0 Kudos
Terrymac999
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I know they are expensive but seems to be the only way to go I have bought an IPhone X as apparently IPhone 6 does not support WiFi Calling. 

The external aerial and antenna with booster are expensive but it seems to be my only option. Just have to do some research as to what MHz band to buy as I don’t know a great deal about them

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey Terrymac999,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. We apologise for the delayed response.

I'm sorry to hear you're not getting the best signal from inside your house since changing over to Virgin Mobile. I have checked the phone masts in your postcode area and they all seem to be absolutely fine, and no known issues reported over the last 7 days.

Can you let me know if you've been able to get WiFi calling working on your iPhone X? I also have an iPhone X and I am able to use WiFi calling on it without any issues, so I'm hoping it is the same for you too.

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos