Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Nokia e63 not working since new sim inserted

My wife has a old E63 phone which is okay for calls and texts (which is all she does) Virgin sent a new SIM to put in , nothing worked, after 8 days of phone calls to Virgin it can now make and receive calls ,but the phone just keeps randomly switching on and off it seems that there is nothing Virgin can do!!!!

Seems I have to get a new phone(good way for Virgin to make money on upgrades!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nokia e63 not working since new sim inserted

Bit of a difficult one 

Virgin are changing their SIM cards due to changes in the way they operate. They will also ensure a smooth transition when they move from EE to Vodafone for signal at the end of next year.

The only way to check would be to try either a different SIM or a replacement in the phone. There is unlikely to be an incompatibility with the new SIM cards but it is not impossible.

Obviously the phone is no longer supported and the original Nokia no longer exists.

If you should have to change the phone then there are plenty of low end phones available SIM free, so no need to pay through the nose for an upgrade.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes you are right the phone is old!!!! But it worked fine before , I just begrudge having to buy a new one (if if it will not cost much for a new basic one!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your not the first with an old Nokia (running Symbian software) swiching itself on and off with the new purple Virgin SIM's, would suggest swapping provider or buying a newer phone if wanting to stay with Virgin.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Nokia-97-no-longer-working-properly-since-new-SIM...

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @teabag  Looks like the new SIM cards don't play nice with Symbian.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks looks like a new cheap SIM free phone then!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick update- new phone works fine so looks like older phones will not work with the new SIMS

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting us know as it may prove useful info in the future 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same problem. The entire point of 3G then 4G then 5G was upwards compatibility. Virgin have failed in this regard. As they seem to have used the CV19 crisis to effectively halt all customer service (they are impossible to contact), I am writing to them to cancel the contract. After a very nasty billing experience as a customer, I left them before, but my partner persuaded me to rejoin. Mistake. Never again. And needless to say, I will also ensure that as many people as possible know how badly they can treat their customers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Exitingcustomer and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear you feel this way, if you'd still like to cancel the services you can find how to do so here.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos