Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Nokia 8 Sirocco not dropping down to 3G for calls

Hi,

I've just picked up a Nokia 8 Sirocco to use with my Virgin mobile SIM, I get decent 4G signal and mobile data works fine, but when I try to make a call the signal bar drops down to nothing and the phone reports 'no network available'.  I also cannot receive calls under 4G.

I've tried a Three SIM and a Tesco mobile SIM in the same phone and they work fine - they automatically drop down to 3G to make or receive the call.

There aren't many settings available to me in the  >Network & Internet  >Mobile Network menu,  But if I manually change Preferred network type to 3G the phone can make and receive calls without an issue.

The Virign SIM works fine in my Nokia 9 Pureview handset. When I go to make or receive a call, it automatically drops to 3G and then returns to 4G after the call.  I have checked the Mobile Network settings in this phone and they are identical to the Nokia 8 Sirocco.

I have tried a network reset and then a hard reset on the phone and get exactly the same issue.

I found a discussion on a Nokia forum that suggested that the mobile operator should be able to fix this.  My options are currently to leave Virgin or to return the phone.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nokia 8 Sirocco not dropping down to 3G for calls

This came up some time back. People found that that it would sometimes work in one location and not another

I don't think there was ever and answer given by Virgin

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for the reply enlli.

It doesn't sound promising that there'll be an easy solution then.

I tried the Virgin device support pages, but the Sirocco isn't listed and the IMEI code isn't recognised and I tried the support phone line but gave up after waiting on hold for ages.

I don't suppose you've any other ideas?

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No other ideas I'm afraid. It was some time back. Started to happen when the new SIM cards came out late 2017 but got worse as more people got changed over. I had thought it had gone away.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is it worth ordering a replacement SIM from Virgin to see if a new one is any better?

Not sure how that would work with keeping your number etc, but it might be worth a try just to experiment?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Bad news I'm afraid - I ordered a new SIM and it did nothing; I also just recently did the Android 10 update and that made no difference either.

In some places I can't make calls at all - luckily at home I must be connected to mast that 'works' but at work I can't make or receive calls at all.

From what I can tell, this is a problem with some Nokia and Huawei phones, but definitely specifically with the Nokia 8 Sirocco 😞
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the info, it's a shame that there's no straightforward way to resolve this.

In the end I've taken the easy way out and changed provider as I was no longer under contract.  The phone works fine now.

0 Kudos