Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Nokia 700 unlock required

Unlock code required for Nokia 700 (an oldie but goody)
I purchased this phone from Virgin - it was purchased locked to the Virgin network.
It was originally on a monthly contract but is now on PAYG.
I recently received a replacement SIM with a letter which had an unlock code
This code does not work. Unlocking failed and the phone still says 'SIM card not valid'. The new SIM does work on a different phone.
I have submitted THREE requests for a new code to the virginmedia.com/help/unlock-code-request1
web page but received no reply. Just to confirm, I am aware of the unlocking procedure for this phone  (#pw+unlock code+1#) and it is absolutely locked to Virgin and was purchased as such. Can Virgin please supply me with the necessary code.
Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nokia 700 unlock required

Update: I tried unlocking at level 7 , i.e. #pw+unlock code+7# and that worked!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@aurora1: Thanks for posting this information.  I've also got a Nokia 700 and neither the level 1 nor level 7 unlock worked with my phone.  Could you clarify a few things for me:

1) Did you use the "personal unblocking key" that came with the new Virgin SIM on the red card or did you eventually get a different unblocking code from Virgin?

2) Did you do the unblocking with the new SIM inserted, the original SIM or no SIM or doesn't it matter? (I did it without a SIM, as that's what most of the guides seem to suggest).

3) I assume the pw and + characters are literal and not placeholders? (ie, pw isn't a placeholder for some "password" and you do enter the plus symbols as shown rather than them indicating concatenation of replacement strings.)  I have entered them as literal with an 8 digit unlock code so I entered

#pw+12345678+7#

where 12345678 is standing in for my unlock code.  This gave an error along the lines of "code invalid". 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
Do not use the 'unblocking' key that is on the red card. That is something different. It is the personal unblocking key (PUK) and will unblock the phone if it gets blocked in future, i.e. if you enter your PIN incorrectly or forget it.

You need the 'unlock code' that is on the bottom of the letter that Virgin sent you .
It is 15 digits long. This is what I used. Virgin didn't send me another code. Eventually they replied telling me that the IMEI code I sent them was incorrect. (It wasn't!) but by that time I had figured out that I needed to use +7# instead of +1#

p, w and + are actual characters,
You input the +, p and w by pressing the * key 2, 3 and 4 times respectively.
See:
http://responsive-plugin.mobifreedom.net/how-to-unlock/nokia-700

There is also a program called Nokia BB5 utility which you can find if you google it. This will reset your key count (i.e. unlocking attempts counter ) back to zero if need be, You will need to do this if you have had several fails. The phone locks after 3 fails. I had to do it, so I know it works. It can also can be used to send the unlock key. It's a very useful utility.

I can't remember if I had the SIM in or not. I think I probably did.

Good luck, let me know if it works.
Ian.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for that.  That is such a lot of useful information.  I've got it to work!  There wasn't an unlock code on the letter that came with the new SIM, but one eventually came (about 4 days later) by email from Virgin.  This was after I'd filled in their form twice and spent hours on text chat with them begging for it.  In the intervening time, they got me to plug the SIM into another phone which worked and promptly disabled my original SIM.  I immediately started getting texts from Virgin saying "Great! Your new SIM is working" which was quite annoying because now my phone didn't work at all!

I would hope that anyone else with a Nokia 700 would be able to work it out with what you've put here - I also used the +7 at the end of the code that you mentioned and I had no SIM in the phone at the time. 

I particularly wanted to keep my Nokia 700 working as it's such a good little phone.  I like its battery life and the fact that it doesn't track me and report back to Google, so I'm very grateful for your help.

Ian

0 Kudos