cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No voice when roaming

sdriver
On our wavelength

When in Spain (Canaries), I encounter same problem on different visits.

Phone works fine, can make calls to anywhere, data is good and I can use WhatsApp no problem. However, when I receive voice calls from certain numbers (local spanish & uk numbers, mobile & landline), I can hear the caller but they cant hear me. So usually they hang up and only by me calling them back am I asked to have the call.

No expert but I think has something to do with the networks and the 5G, 4G, 3G options. Also seems to only occur with other networks than O2 & Virgin. Tested with my Daughters in UK, one on O2 and have no problem, from her mobile and Virgin landline but with the other whose on EE, I am able to replicate the problem. By changing fro 5G to 4G was able to receive a call normally. But when rebooted phone, still in 4G, I couldn't be heard by the next caller calling on a Spanish landline.  Soon as I called them back, it was OK.

Problem never occurs in UK, only in Spain, although not roamed anywhere else recently. 

Very frustrating. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

31 REPLIES 31

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like some sort of problem with VoLTE. 5G and 4G are data only, and if Voice over LTE is not present the phone should drop down to 3G or 2G

The only way to check if the problem lies somewhere there would be to put the phone into 3G / 2G mode and see what happens. If all is OK that's where the fault lies. If not we would have to look elsewhere.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sdriver
On our wavelength

Thanks Enlli, definitely something to do with these settings. I did try 3G/2G and it worked but not all time. I have an app where I can select more defined connections, LTE (B1 to 46), GSM, WCDMA, NR. Tried some but can't always receive calls when selecting individual options. But with some I xan use voice, so definitely something to do with this.

Still stuck though 🙂 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A difficult one. We get posts from people in Spain regularly and this is the first time  this has come up to my knowledge.

Roaming problems are notoriously difficult as what happen is often out of the hands of the home network. This is compounded on Virgin as they have no roaming partners of their own but go through a proxy in Belgium (they probably won't admit to that)

I really don't have an answer and I suspect the Virgin team on here will be floundering in trying to find one.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi sdriver,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your calls.

I have been able to locate your account and obviously everything looks to be setup correctly in that regards.

On your original post where you advised "other whose on EE, I am able to replicate the problem. By changing fro 5G to 4G was able to receive a call normally".

If you swapped back to 5G. Did the issue begin again?

^Martin

sdriver
On our wavelength

Yes Martin_N, I thought I'd solved it by switching to 4G but it's intermittent and I got the same issue vacknin 5G. It must be a combination of roaming, networks, LTE, 4G, etc. ?,

From what you have advised it does sound like is could possibly be that. As enlli advised, issue with Mobile aboard are difficult as we cannot guarantee a signal aboard due to customers using 3rd party signals. 

Are you travelling around where you are aboard or generally staying in one location? 

^Martin

sdriver
On our wavelength

Sane location, we have a house here. Last Sept, had same problem so git a new SIM, still same problem. Its a Samsung S20, so not an old phone & works well in UK so don't think it's hardware.

Okay, if it is at all possible. It may be worth venturing out and about with the handset. As this could be an issue localised to 1 area. 

Is this something you would be able to try?

^Martin

sdriver
On our wavelength

OK worth a try, I'll ask my Daughter to do same test when I'm out n about Will ket u know.

Thanks.