Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No text or phone service in Canada

Hi, my wife and I are both UK pay monthly virgin mobile users and are now in Canmore, Alberta in Canada. Neither of us are able to send or receive text messages and cannot receive phone calls (she in an iPhone 8 Plus me on an iPhone XR).  My wife received a text message when we landed in Toronto which outlined costs, I received nothing.  She was connected to Bell as the local provider, so I connected to it manually, and I have been able to incur roaming costs so I have some sort of connection.

she has tried rebooting the phone, and also tried resetting network services but it has made no difference. We tried ringing 789 from her phone which worked, but were told that we would incur a charge if we continued (which seems to contradict Virgin’s own advice here https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... ) and didn’t want to rack up costs waiting for someone to speak to,

Are we connected to the correct provider? Is there a general problem with virgin mobile in Canada? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No text or phone service in Canada

Have you both activated roaming, on your online accounts before leaving the UK? international call barring needs to be off too to make/receive calls.

receiving a text is a good sign, but obviously no service isn't a good sign. To reset networking, all you need to do is toggle airplane mode on/off.

The usual advice is to try to manually connect to all networks.

I have linked the costs for canada

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-roaming-usa-and-canada

it ain't cheap. turning data on can easily rack up the £50 ish limit with background data without you doing anything except switch it on

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for that, roaming was set to off on my account so I have changed the setting.  Don’t remember ever having to change that setting on previous overseas trips but hopefully this will sort my problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

hopefully it will. Be prepared for it to take a while to reach your local network(s). toggling airplane mode will reset networking as I said before.

If not, maybe a vm moderator can reset it from their side.

0 Kudos