Menu
ninjaef
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

No signal but 2 bars with EE

At work, PR41AX, my colleague has a Samsung A70 running Pie. I too own the same phone, same model, same year, same O/S (Pie - same build and patch), identical phones. However, he is on EE and gets 2 bar signal 4G - not great but useable. I get ZERO bars, 3G speed (slooooow) and woefully unusable. We swapped SIMS and the result was the same, this time my phone was better with his EE SIM in. 

Now if Virgin use EE network, and purportedly no loss in signal service, then why, when these two phones are bumper to bumper, is he getting a better signal than me.

Explanation warranted me thinks.

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: No signal but 2 bars with EE

Virgin do indeed use the EE network, but they don't have access to all the services & (in this case) 4G coverage that EE users do. Specifically...

EE have 4G calling (technically known as VoLTE) which enables voice calls over 4G, Virgin (in common with every other EE reseller except BT) drop down to 2G or 3G for voice calls. 4G calling enables access to additional 4G coverage on 800Mhz which seems to be available in this location. So the EE phone will be connecting to 4G800, your Virgin phone is connecting to a slightly weaker signal that's on a "standard" frequency.

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: No signal but 2 bars with EE

You can both test the frequency your phones are connected to by installing an app like NetMonster

The frequency is shown at the top of the screen on that app. 

For me, 2g says 1800/1900, 3g 2100, 4g 1800

0 Kudos