cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service after roaming and returning to UK - SOLVED

jimothy
Joining in

I am posting this in case it is helpful to someone. I have just had this issue resolved by second line tech support in literally 2 minutes flat, after having my time wasted for the last week by customer services who, amongst other duff advice, sent me out a new SIM card unnecessarily and kept telling me to wait another 24 hours and promising it would work...

On iPhone 12 (i'm sure it is similar on other models) go to Settings > Mobile data > SIM applications > Roaming > select mode  > manual > national.

This instantaneously fixed the issue and I had service again! Apparently if I go abroad again I may need to set the roaming mode to 'automatic' or 'manual: international'

5 REPLIES 5

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Common problem and one they should know about. 

But like many problem on here with known solutions the still keep sending out replacement SIM Cards 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JoeKing1VM
Superfast

@jimothy yes so much time wasted with Virgin Media to resolve known and common problems.

As @enlli pointed out Virgin way of fixing customers problems is by sending out replacement sim card's even when it's not related to a sim issue.

I've asked for topics on common problems and fixing to have their own title and make them a sticky. But nothings been done to date. 

As most people go through to customer service and given some BS, then end up coming on this forum or Facebook to try and resolve their problems.

New threads are opened regularly on known problems, most of the time the fixes are hidden in the threads all over the place.

Joe

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What will they do now eSIMs have arrived?😄

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I suspect it must be something to do with the way the customer service staff are managed and incentivised. If they close a call the issue is temporarily ‘solved’ in the sense that the customer hangs up and waits another day or two without calling back.

It’s not especially in the interest of the agents to fix the problem either, as the more times people call back the more work it generates for them, so they need more call centre staff and they get more work.

And there is no human interest in getting the phone working as they never speak to the same customer a second time, when the customer  inevitably calls back when the useless advice inevitably fails.

It’s not like going to your doctor or a plumber who you will keep going to until te problem is fixed - these guys have an interest in getting you fixed and stop harassing them!

Richp114
Settling in
Thanks, saved me a load of time.