Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No service abroad

Hi, 

I'm currently abroad (Iceland) and I have no service on my phone (since yesterday - 28/04 about 12pm). I have tried: 

• turning flight mode and the phone off and on
  • removing SIM card 
  • manually trying to connect to network 
  • resetting network settings 
  • trying to put the SIM card into a different phone - no signal
  • trying to put a different SIM card into my phone and it worked which means there is no problem with the device.

I also have my Roaming on and there is still no service. 

Could you please help me with this issue? 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: No service abroad

Update:

I am now posting this again as I am still yet to receive a reply. I originally posted this issue two weeks ago and have heard nothing, this post I posted yesterday and still nothing.

I understand everyone is running at reduced capacity right now but I have no service and no way of contacting Virgin other than using this forum.

It's very frustrating and I didn't appreciate receiving a message saying I shouldn't have used the PM feature with one of the moderators (due to unsolicited messaging - I was just trying to get someone to help). As I said, I have had no response so I'm not sure what else I can do.

If someone can please get back to me so I can try and solve this problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Most of the Virgin Team on here seem to have gone. The few that are here are field techs with basic knowledge and no access to the systems.

The rest are just us customers. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello badamilk

Sorry to hear of the mobile service issues whilst you're abroad in Iceland. Thank you for taking the time to make us aware via the forum and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Can you confirm if you set up the roaming facility with us before leaving the UK? 

Have you been able to use any of the service whilst you have been away?

After running a manual network search do you see any networks you can attempt to connect to?

If so, what error message do you get when trying to connect?

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rob, 

Thank you for your answer. 

I've been here in Iceland for quite a while (several months) and I didn't have an issue with the service up until two weeks ago, when it suddenly just stopped working. I have still been paying for my service so I know that can't be the problem as I am up to date with the payments.

I haven't been able to access any service - no SMS or calls or data. I am only able to use my phone on wifi for internet access due to this. 

I could see three networks but I couldn't connect to any of them and I don't get any error messages. 

I think my SIM card stopped working. Would it be possible to send me a new one? I can't function without any service, I can't even call Virgin. I hope you understand that. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just a thought but if you have been their several months you have almost certainly broken the fair usage policy with regard to roaming. 

In every rolling 4 month period, you must use more data, calls and texts in the UK than the EU or spend more time in the UK than away somewhere else.
So, if you’ve used your phone more in the UK than you have in the EU within the last 4 months, you can still use your allowance whilst travelling without incurring a surcharge.

May not be the case but is a consideration 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Enlli, 

Thank you for your message but I don't think this is the case.

I have no service whatsoever - I cannot make or receive calls, and the same goes for texts. It is like my phone is somewhere with no reception.

Virgin have never sent me any messages (how could they - I don't have service....) saying I am going to go over a fair usage policy. If this was the case I would expect them to be sending me messages asking for more money (my boyfriend had such a thing with Tesco Mobile).

I am still in a covered area because it is the same location I have been in all this time where I was able to use the local network.

If I had broken the policy then yes I would accept I would need to pay extra, not that I literally cannot connect to any network via normal mobile means. If this is the case someone from Virgin Media should get in touch with me and explain it to me. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to check your online mobile account to see if there is a spending cap on there which may explain the issue?  When you log into your account and select your number, it should be near the bottom.

Also, for more information about our mobile policies, please see this link 

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa, 

Thank you for your answer but everything seems fine on my account. 

I have been paying every month my bills and barely using my allowances. Also noone has contacted me from Virgin that I would go over or needed to pay more for my data usage. Last message I received from Virgin was on 21/04 that Virgin is boosting my data. 

I would like to emphasise I literally have no service - my phone is not connecting to any network and I'm not able to receive any phone call or messages. 

Basically is what you are suggesting to me here, Virgin has the ability to stop my phone to connect to any carrier when I go over your fair uses policy? I don't believe this is the case. I would understand that I wouldn't be able to access data but I can't connect to any mobile phone network, I just have "NO SERVICE". Is it possible that Virgin just disconnected my SIM card because I haven't been to the UK for extended period of time? If so why has noone contacted me to inform me that this may happen all the while continuing to take my payments each month. 

Could you please give me a number I can call (obviously not from my phone) because I need to sort this out urgently. This is really inconvenient because it has been two weeks I haven't been able to use my phone other than on wifi. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm going to send you a private message badamik to get some details to look into this further for you.

Looking forward to your response.

Rob

0 Kudos