Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No phone wifi calling

Disappointed to find out that Virgin do not have the option of WiFi phone calling. Where I live is a network black hole almost, regardless of the network, and WiFi calling would have made my life a lot easier.

My wife and daughter have Huawei phones via EE which can be call enabled. Will have to seriously think of swapping to a different direct network when my contract ends, unless Virgin do something about it in the meantime Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: No phone wifi calling

Very unlikely, this is something that none of the MNVO's offer (Apart from BT who are EE anyway)

It goes glove in hand with Voice over 4G and EE are keeping it for now. Even their PAYG customers do not get Wifi Calling or 4G calling

Same for Vodafone, and O2. 3 being the only exception to the rule.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This isn't the answer you are looking for, but there are workarounds such as using facebook messenger or whatsapp.   There may be other apps you can use as well. They will both work on mobile data as well as wifi. 

Whats App

Facebook Messenger

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

True, for outbound calls where I know the other person has the same app. Unfortunately not much use for incoming calls though Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I realise that the previous conversation took place a while back but perhaps the answer is not correct as this article (link below) actually guides you simply through making a few changes in your Virgin Media router settings to enable you to benefit from EE’s WiFi Calling facility. It states that it is only because of the default router settings that you cannot initially obtain WiFi Calling so definitely worth reading.

https://www.oxgadgets.com/2018/03/virgin-media-wifi-calling.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, but it has to be enabled in the phone's firmware and switched on from there. 

Wifi Calling need a protocol called IMS and that is not available at the moment. It is the same protocol for VOLTE.

My Virgin router allows  me to make calls on my 3 PAYG SIM with no problems and no need to change any setting. Plus plenty of people without Virgin broadband.

And how does that play out using the Pubs wifi when there is no signal?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've used the same settings as in that article to mend broken WiFi calling on a few Virgin routers, but for the benefit of the thread...

This is for where the Virgin WiFi router is preventing EE/Vodafone/etc WiFi calling from working. In other words, where the WiFi connection is through a Virgin router, NOT where the phone is a Virgin Mobile one.

0 Kudos