Menu
Rosie6
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No network in quito please help

Help please.

I think I did everything I was supposed to do: went into my online virgin mobile account and turned the going abroad slider off and the international calling barring off.

I was in Montenegro last week with no problems. I was briefly in Bogotá airport in Columbia this morning with no problems.

Now in quito, Ecuador. Did not receive a ‘welcome to Ecuador text’. Every now and then it briefly connects to Movistar with one bar of signal  (but when I try to send a text it fails) and then it reverts back to no service.

I have tried turning off automatic network selection and selecting all three of the listed networks and it still says no service.

I am very frustrated as I need to be able to make/receive calls and texts.

Please help. thank you

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: No network in quito please help

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your roaming feature in Ecuador Rosie6.

Has this improved since you posted this? if not, please try the below suggestion to see if this can fix the problem you're having. 

Does this issue happen in certain areas or is it happening when your out and about? 

This maybe due to the strength of the signal in the area that you're in that is causing the network to drop out.

When you've tried to connect to a network manually, is the below network an option for you to connect to.

OTECEL S.A. 'TELEFONICA

The agreement that we have is with this network, if this is displayed,please could you try and connect to this network manually.

Also are you able to check the sim card in a different phone to make sure that the handset isn't the problem?

Thanks

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Rosie6
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen,

thanks for for getting back to me. 

yes. I still have not had phone service for the whole time I’ve been here. I’ve now moved to another town, banos, and still have nothing.

Other than the momentary ‘movistar’ one bar that I see (although as I mentioned, signal doesn’t work to send a text or anything), it continually says no service.

In answer to your question, when I go to select a network manually, the one that you mention is not an option. The 3 networks listed are CLARO, CNT and Movistar. I have clicked on all three of these, and still get no service. 

I doubt the handset is the problem since it got signal in Columbia on the same day.

I would be grateful for any help you could provide as I would like to have a phone that can make calls and send texts

thanks

Rosalia

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I did a bit of online digging. OTECEL is movistar, so that's the network to go for. Have you tried checking the signal in 3g and 2g mode? Not perfect I know, but at least you'll have calls and texts. 

Another note. If you're planning on visiting Chile or Venuzuela don't expect a signal, as vm don't have agreements in those countrie . 

0 Kudos
Rosie6
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me.

As I said, when Movistar comes up as an option and is selected, it still says no service in the top left hand corner of my phone. 

I tried going to mobile data options - voice - and selected 2g, then 3G, neither of them changes the ‘no service’. 

I have an iPhone SE and so ‘data roaming’ only becomes an option when the ‘mobile data’ slider is turned on. I have had this off for most of the time as I do not want to be charged. The exception was when a relative called virgin media to tell them about my issues, and they suggested I turn my data and data roaming on for a bit whilst they try something from their end. They also suggested I turn my phone on an off. I followed these instructions but still had no service. Very frustrating since they said there should be no reason why I don’t hace signal! 

My partner is with o2 and has been connected to Movistar pretty much the whole time we’ve been here 

Thankfully not going to either of those countries, but thanks anyway.

Any further help would be much appreciated as virgin media assured me my phone would work here.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rosie6

From the information provided earlier in this thread it appears that the roaming facility is working as you have been able to connect and receive service during your time away. Based on this it looks like it is more to do with the local networks you’re connecting to.

Although we do have agreements with networks in the majority of countries’ once you leave the UK we can’t guarantee service. The problems may be due to congestion or poor coverage in the locations and we’d advise to keep trying manual searches and try to connect to each of the available networks.

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos