Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No network coverage

Hi,

I've not had any network coverage since at least last Saturday. I initially assumed I was impacted by https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/RESOLVED-Mobile-service-issues-05-03-2020/td-p/41... however the issue has persisted this week. I got some texts through one evening early in the week, but nothing since then.

I've tried turning my phone off and on again as well as taking the battery out for a while.

I've tried to use the chat system to get through to support several times, but never get a reply after the automated system takes my basic details.

This is getting quite frustrating as there are a number of services I'm not able to access due to them requiring text authentication.

Any ideas on how I can get in contact with Virgin would be most welcome.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: No network coverage

Have you checked

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

Virgin use EE

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I have tried that checker. It says that they're investigating a recently reported problem, however it's been saying that all week, so I'm losing confidence that either it's accurate or will be resolved quickly.

If it were just that I had patchy coverage I'd be less worried, however I've literally got nothing -- even calling 789 results in my phone saying "No network coverage".

Something I haven't tried is going for a long walk to see if I can get into a different area and maybe get some signal that way. I'll give that a go and see if it helps.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I’ve had no coverage for three days either and virgin have been terrible in doing anything to sort it out they even recommended I txt them lol could believe it 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

After going for a long walk I was able to find some signal and make a call, so it looks like a localised issue.

However this morning that checker is showing that there's no issues at my postcode. Unfortunately even after restarting my phone I've still not got coverage at home.

This means I'm still effectively locked out of a number of online accounts 😞

Given that Virgin also recently forced me onto a more expensive monthly plan (by withdrawing the plan I was on), I'm not exactly impressed with the service at the moment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ok, update on this.

After repeatedly trying various means to get in contact with Virgin support, including hours on hold, I finally got to speak to a person this morning.

It turns out that Virgin are reducing their coverage for 2G. Since I've had the same model of phone for the past decade, it only supports 2G. This has caused the effective cut-off of my service.

While it's easy to see this as the march of technology, Virgin have failed to communicate this in an effective manner, despite having ample opportunity to do so. I, along with presumably many others, were recently forced to "upgrade" our service packages from legacy ones to more recent ones, including a noticeable increase in price. The email informing me of this change made no mention of the fact that this would impact the service we received, instead stating that "Your mobile bill is changing."

Prior to the billing change coming into effect, I also spoke to someone about my options (including cheaper ones, though nothing competitive with my previous package) and was assured that the new plan represented the same service I was already getting. It was partly for this reason that I stuck with the (more expensive) option.

It's obviously hard to know for sure if the change to the contracts and the rolling-back of 2G services are related, though the timing is remarkably close for them to be independent. The nature of the upgrade (from a package which didn't include 4G to one that did, even though I don't need or want that) also seems to indicate a link.

Finally, and perhaps most damningly, Virgin's own online service checker continues to claim that my area has "Excellent" 2G service. Since I am unable to use that 2G service and Virgin admit to reducing coverage and support for it, this is clearly misleading.

In summary: Virgin recently forced me to "upgrade" to a more expensive service package and then (mostly) removed the aspect of the service I'm using without any prior indication of the change.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about this situation @PeterJCLaw. Usually when we're unable to provide reliable mobile service the mobile tech teams will ask you to record specific examples of failed calls/texts or data usage - they will then use this data determine the best course of action.

I appreciate the frustration not having good coverage will cause but if it's due to the technology there may be only so much we can do. May I ask what outcome are you hoping for with regards to a resolution at this stage?

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@PeterJCLaw wrote:

Ok, update on this.

After repeatedly trying various means to get in contact with Virgin support, including hours on hold, I finally got to speak to a person this morning.

It turns out that Virgin are reducing their coverage for 2G. Since I've had the same model of phone for the past decade, it only supports 2G. This has caused the effective cut-off of my service.

This sounds like one of the excuses customer service make up to get you off the line.

EE (the network Virgin uses) isn't reducing 2G coverage at all. It is still a very important service, not only for those without smartphones, but also for "machine to machine" uses (eg. Smartmeters use it to send back readings). Most networks expect to turn off 3G before 2G. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Tom_F wrote:

Usually when we're unable to provide reliable mobile service the mobile tech teams will ask you to record specific examples of failed calls/texts or data usage - they will then use this data determine the best course of action.

I would be happy to provide any information I can which might help. Is there a way I can do this without needing to call 789?

(I've tried the text service and online chatbot, but neither seemed to ever connect me to a human - I only ever got the initial welcome messages. Calling is obviously quite a considerable time commitment, even before spending a long time on hold).

@Tom_F wrote:

May I ask what outcome are you hoping for with regards to a resolution at this stage?

Well ideally, I'd like my service coverage back. If as cje85 says the underlying network isn't actually being reduced then that should be possible.

@cje85 wrote:

EE (the network Virgin uses) isn't reducing 2G coverage at all. It is still a very important service, not only for those without smartphones, but also for "machine to machine" uses (eg. Smartmeters use it to send back readings). Most networks expect to turn off 3G before 2G. 

I realise that if this is the case then it does suggest an issue on my end, however I'm not aware of anything changing with my phone around the time this stopped working. The fact that my phone works fine elsewhere, just not at home, suggests to me that this is either a signal strength or clarity issue. If I had access to another 2G phone to test with I'd do that, but I don't.

Thanks,
Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If you can receive signal elsewhere and not in the property the coverage checkers results would be correct in that some work is needed in the area. 

Has this been updated since you last checked this?

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos