cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mobile signal abroad (outside EU)

siansian
Joining in

I'm currently in Colombia and I have no signal with Virgin Mobile. I've checked out this page about roaming outside of the EU (specifically in Colombia) and have followed all of the "Why is data roaming not working abroad?" steps listed here.

Here are my APN settings.

Screenshot_2023-05-01-20-08-03-997_com.android.settings.jpg

Screenshot_2023-05-01-20-09-18-568_com.android.settings.jpg

I've been using a SIM card I bought in Colombia but I need to receive a message on my Virgin Mobile SIM card so I can verify my WhatsApp.

If anyone has any suggestions for what may be wrong or if any Virgin Mobile troubleshooters can message me that would be great, I can't call the Virgin Mobile UK helpline without incurring hefty charges so am looking for online support.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi siansian,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, really sorry to hear you have no signal on your Mobile while Roaming in Columbia, did you make sure Roaming was set up on your Online Account before leaving the UK?

Regards

Paul.

siansian
Joining in

I logged into my Virgin Mobile account and went onto Manage Services and my Roaming appears to be switched on:

siansian_0-1683052174940.png

Hi @siansian,

Do you recall when it was that you activated roaming? It needs to be done at least 24 hours before you leave the UK.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I don't recall exactly, it was nearly a year ago. I'm pretty sure I had signal when I landed in Costa Rica in July last year because I received a text, but I haven't had any signal since I've been in Colombia. Roaming appears to be switched on on my account. Is there anything that can be done on my side or Virgin's side to force roaming activation on my account?

Hi @siansian 👋.

Thanks for getting back to us. Are you still having the same issue?
Could you please resetting the device entirely including mobile network to ensure that the roaming function and the device has had a full refresh.
If you can log in to your account and turn on roaming  👉 Login

Please keep us updated. 

Sabrina

Do you mean switching the device off and on again and doing the same for the mobile network? Have tried several times and still no joy.

Roaming is already switched on on my account.

Hi @siansian 👋.

Thanks for getting back in touch, I know it is not ideal, but it can take up to 24 hours to take effect.

Thanks for being so patient in this matter.

Sabrina

siansian
Joining in

As in it takes 24 hours for roaming to work once switched on? I've had it switched on for several months

Thanks for coming back to us @siansian.

Can you please confirm if you have set up a spend cap on the account, or ensured that you cannot be charged for premium calls or text messages?

This may be the cause of the roaming not working in a country where additional charges would be generated for using the services

Kindest regards,

David_Bn