cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mobile network in Isle of Man

IoM
Joining in

Travelled to the Isle of Man. Need to be here for 6 weeks. No mobile network coverage. Have experienced this previously and been assured that it would not happen again. It has. Cannot call the helpline numbers from my phone. Do not have access to another phone or network. Need to self isolate for Covid travel restrictions cannot get out to find someone to help me. Can someone contact me to help me with this problem. 

16 REPLIES 16

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, IoM,

Sorry to hear that you are having mobile network issues. Have you checked if your mobile service is set for roaming:  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-turn-on-roaming

If the roaming service is on, then you should be able to see the roaming provider's information on your mobile's network menu.

If you still need further help, let us know.

Cheers,

Corey C

Roaming is on, international call barring is off. Have tried both automatically connecting to available networks and manual selection. When I select available networks they come back with the message" Forbidden network". Any other suggestions?

OK I'll try resetting your services from here. I'll send you a private message to confirm your account details.

Cheers,

Corey C

FAO Corey C. 

• Reset not worked. 24 hours have elapsed since last message. Tried responding to private message but authentication failed. Hopefully you will be able to pick up this message.

Gillq2
Joining in

Hi - did this get sorted.  I am going there shortly and I had something similar last time.  Had to buy a rubbish phone and get a Manx telecom sim which was less than ideal.  

Thanks 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Gillq2 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

The Isle of man is classed as a roaming zone and therefor you might get signal but it also might be with another network provider and this would incur charges. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin have had problems with Roaming in the Isle of Man since the new SIM cards were issued 5 years ago.

My advice is don't chance it. Get yourself a 30 day SIM on another network to take with you. 

I can confirm by experience Voxi works well and the bonus is calls in the IOM come out of your allowance, unlike Virgin who charge.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi. Nothing sorted. Same problem. None of the recommendations made worked, not even replacing the VM SIM. Have had to make a couple of visits ended up getting a Voxi SIM. Best advice given by VM, call to discuss, laughable!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sadly, Virgin don't control their own roaming. That's down to Proximus of Belgium. Most of the team don't know that (or most likely not allowed to say)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks