cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No call or sms in Japan - Virgin error 28

petur123
Tuning in

Help!

I'm currently in Japan, with no phone or sms service! When trying to text, I get Virgin error 28

For my online account settings, I have roaming ON and international call barring OFF. My spending cap is £20 of which I've used £3.

I've tried following these guides and no luck

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/virgin-mobile-issues

11 REPLIES 11

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @petur123 thanks for your post here in the Community, although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here surrounding your phone not working in Japan.

Is this happening in all locations that you're in there, or is it everywhere in Japan you're experiencing this? 

In addition, have you tried rebooting your handset, and if this doesn't work performing a manual network search to see if this helps?

Please let us know.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Happening everywhere I've been so far in Japan. I had the same issue in Korea as well the week before.

Tried rebooting multiple times. 

Manual connection only works on a single provider, NTT DOCOMO. Rest of them fail to connect. 

Thank you for letting us know this.

Please have a look at this link.

Please can you confirm to me if you got a SMS when you landed with a link to download a profile?

If you did please click the link and download the profile and refresh the phone and this should work. 

The SMS should just be a welcome to Japan with a load of information on it. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi, I've double checked the info from the link. It's all correctly setup. Roaming on, call barring OFF (see screenshots)

This is the info I got when I landed (screenshot). I've texted the number, using a 0044 prefix and it went through. However nothing happened. I tried texting my wife about 10min after, didn't go through. Same error, 28

Screenshot_20230518-201046~2.png

Screenshot_20230518-200822~2.png

Thank you for sending that over.

Please can you just confirm the profile has been downloaded?

It should be a configuration profile. 

What phone do you have IOS or android? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

How can I check that? Nothing haponeded after the message got sent. 

I'm on an android 

I am going to send you a PM to try the options we can do this will include a refresh of the profile and if that don't work increasing the spend cap.

Please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt - i am having this exact issue. I landed in Japan 28th June and cannot receive calls or send texts (Error 28). I can however receive texts. 

Calls from either UK or Japanese phones do not come through. The caller is played a recorded message "The other person has hung up"

Was a solution to this found? I am here for another month and need to be contactable by my friends and family back home