Menu
SpaceCadet2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No access to mobile data

My son has a Samsung A3 phone we gave him which we loaded with a Ultimate Oomph Unlimited SIM. It's his first ever phone and he's been using it for months without me realising that he can only connect to the internet, download apps, get WhatsApp messages etc when he has wifi but not when he is connected to mobile data (you can text and phone though).  I've googled it to find a solution but can't seem to get anywhere - yes his mobile data is switched on.

We're using Family Link and I don't know if that is making a difference. The phone was previously used with another SIM card so don't know if this could be the problem - read that APN Settings could be an issue and so as instructed on the website we sent a text message with the word ALL to 789922 but the phone still doesn't connect to mobile data.

Any suggestions please?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
teabag
Hero
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No access to mobile data

You may have to enter the APN manually, the last all-in-one settings should work fine  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/New-Purple-Virgin-Mobile-SIM-and-need-the-APN-set...

A quick Google search will give instructions for manually adding the APN for your model.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
SpaceCadet2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying - that looks really promising.  I'll try this out later when he's back from school - fingers crossed!!

0 Kudos
SpaceCadet2
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

And it's worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!
teabag
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Glad it worked for you - bet your son is happy too 😉

Maybe a good time to log into the online mobile account and set the Spending Cap at £0, just in case he gets carried away using the data, runs out and starts raking up charges 😵

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.