Menu
Drulum
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No UK data without data roaming?

I've just dumped my iPhone for a Nokia 5310. Same sim and it appears to be mostly fine - make and receive calls, everything showing up in recent usage in my account correctly - except if I try to do anything that requires a net connection it informs me I need to enable data roaming.

Is this true? I don't want to roam here in the UK or abroad. The phone settings for mobile data are set to on and the options for APN are set to Virgin Media Internet as expected. There's also an R just above the signal bars, if that's relevant.

I did a short test where I enabled roaming and used the browser to access a few pages - everything worked fine, though I don't know how long it will be until I find out if I've been charged for the data through another network. I have disabled roaming again until I work out what's happening.

Any help will be greatly appreciate.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No UK data without data roaming?

Yes. Old versions of Android need roaming on with these new SIM cards, due to with way the cards are programmed. You don't incur any charges. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Drulum
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Well, it's Series 30 rather than Android, but I suspect that doesn't alter your answer. Thanks!
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No, similar thing. Hope it goes well as some Sybian/Java phones do sometimes play up with these SIM cards.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks