Menu
JonathanJF
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

No Indoor Coverage

Can I ask how people have approached dealing with Virgin when they have no mobile coverage indoors? I’m a new customer and I have no bars at home the vast majority of the time, occasionally I may get one. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No Indoor Coverage

If you're in the first 14 days of your contract, cancel now (so long as you know that another network is available indoors at home).  If your not in the first 14 days, then complain to VM asking to cancel the contract, and if they won't agree then escalate to the CISAS, the industry arbitration scheme.

As far as I'm aware, there's no VM wifi calling or signal booster options. 

You can buy your own mobile signal booster now (a "static indoor repeater") but expect to pay in the region £300-600, you will need to have an outdoor mounted transmitter, linked to an indoor unit by cable, this isn't some tiddly single unit you can tuck behind a photo frame on a windowsill.  Avoid anything unbranded or where you can't verify that the seller is a reputable business who understand the technology and the law.  There's fines up to £5k for using boosters that don't meet the Ofcom requirements, and (of course) all the dodgy vendors will swear blind that their product is "Ofcom approved".

Even if you'd buy a signal booster, I believe these have to be locked to a single network.  With VM likely to transfer its mobile customers from the EE network to the Vodafone network next year, that would be trouble.  And double trouble if they transferred again to O2 following the planned VM/O2 merger. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Indoor Coverage

In addition to everything Andruser has already said, your best bet is to try a few PAYG SIMs from different networks to establish in real world use, which ones work best in your important locations. And also bear in mind that there are only 4 mobile networks in the UK (EE, VF, O2 & 3) - every other provider is a "virtual" operator who piggbyback on one of the big-4.

There is one large caveat to this, where EE (who provide Virgin's mobile coverage) is concerned. EE pay-monthly customers get access to additional 4G coverage which can make a noticeable difference indoors & in rural areas where it's available. EE PAYG and "piggyback" customers such as Virgin, don't.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks