Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New sim

Hi,

My Dad has received texts stating Virgin are sending him a new sim. He hasn't requested a new sim or made any changes to his account. Can you confirm if this is something Virgin are currently doing as I am worried it could be a scam?

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New sim

Does he have the older red sim card, or the newer (since December 2017) purple sim card.

If red, they are being replaced by the purple sim cards.

He will need to be on the purple sim in the future, as virgin are going to move from EE to Vodafone in late 2021 and I'm almost certain that the red sim cards won't work then. 

Highlighted
Superstar
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If his current SIM is older than December 17 and is coloured red, then yes - the newer Virgin SIM's are purple and anyone with with a old SIM are being sent new ones.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I hope your dad's switch to the purple SIM goes more smoothly than mine. It's been a total nightmare and I'm going to end up going with another provider. Very fed-up with Virgin right now!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

SIM arrived, I followed the instructions included and the switch was completed the next day with only minimal loss of service. Sorry that you are having problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

With respect teabag (and others who are answering here) as none of you appear to be Virgin Media Support personnel, are we "novices" supposed to accept that this isn't all an elaborate scam?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@garyglazerman 

You are right that we should all be treating anything like this as a scam - until proven otherwise 👍

The Virgin SIM swap has been going on since December 2017, so sometime now to be well known/documented about - especially in this forum.

The Virgin official page on the subject is  https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/mobile/sim-help

If any posts by us customers helping out here were to be supportive to any scam, I have confidence that a Moderator would remove post and user from the forum pretty sharply 😉

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Although I am not Virgin Staff, as a VIP member I do have access to information others don't

The SIM swap has been going on for some time. The new SIMs allow Virgin to control much more of the network than is possible with the old EE ones.

I can also tell you there is a new drive to get these cards out and although no firm date has been given, complete the change over before the end of this year.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks