Menu
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New sim swap...and ANOTHER one bites the dust

Having already 'lost' the use of the wife's Nokia 100 because of the dreaded 'purple sim disease' we have now lost my daughters samsung GT S5230to it as well...

Phone is unlocked, (was used on O2, then '3' before VM, so know it is.

Put the purple 'phone killer' into it, and....yup...borked... Phone starts up, looks for sim, then starts up again, and looks for sim, and.....Repeat ad nauseum

Put the original VM sim in, works as it should...put the O2 sim in, works as it should. 

Try the purple sim again....as previously, starts, looks for sim...boot loop....

As VM are so uninterested to sort this out or actually provide any meaningful 'help' 

I have now had to purchase TWO new phones to get my wife and daughter back on their phones.

Wife needs hers for emergency calls as she has medical problems, Daughter needs hers, as she has to be on call at certain times for her work......

Thanks VM, that sim swap has cost you nothing, but has cost me £70+ for new phones....

(we were unable to get PAC codes for either sim, because the 'new' ones hadn't been activated) otherwise we would have been gone in a flash.

Might still move, as VM have very little interest in 'customer service' and with the threat of PAYG and legacy packages being terminated, (wife is on PAYG and daughter on a cheap legacy package) then a move is probably on the cards. If they go, both myself and my son will jump ship as well, and I will take both my phones with me, so effectively 5 phones  will go.

VM is no longer a decent provider of services, there are better elsewhere...

Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim swap...and ANOTHER one bites the dust

Thanks for the post Hughjarsse.

Have you been in touch with our team since your post? 

The SIM cards should work on the handsets, does this ask for an unlock code or anything when you insert this? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily,

Re the Samsung, it is sim free, so shouldn't need an unlock code, as stated, was working with a '3' sim, and the red VM sim (EE) , and O2.

If we put the purple VM sim into the phone, it starts up, looks for the sim, then resets and starts all over again. This doesn't happen with the O2, '3' or red VM sim. As the daughter needs a phone because she has to be on an 'on call' rota, we had to pop out and buy a Nokia 1 for her to use.

Re the nokia 100, well, this was purchased from VM along with a PAYG sim years ago, and survived the transition to the red sim previously, (long time ago now) so assumed it was locked to EE (there is a post regarding the problem, https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/trying-to-get-an-unlocking-code/m-... as we  had problems getting the unlocking code. Martin_N got me a code, but....when entering the code, (as advised, #PW+(code)+1# ) this threw up a 'not allowed' error. tried the same code with the +7 at the end instead,  and again, the 'not allowed' error. 

Apparently you only have 3 tries before the phone becomes locked, so only had one try left, and running out of time. (did message Martin_N but not heard anything back, so as the wife needs her phone (she has medical problems) and we couldn't get any further help from VM (we were told various 'wait 2 hours#' & 'give it 24 hours' which we knew wouldn't work. so went out and bought a Nokia 105 for the wife, just to get the new purple sim working, as she was worried the old red one would be disconnected, leaving her with no phone.

So, as mentioned, now well out of pocket, thanks to the purple sims...(both phones were OK on the red ones...) Both the phones still work, just not with the purple sims. (the nokia on EE, and the Samsung on O2 '3' and EE) which isn't much help, sadly....

Very disappointed with VM, and the apparent  way they have just abandoned those who have an 'older' phone that won't work on the new sim, and the attitude that these people should just go out and but another phone, when the one they have 'should' work properly on VM network, as it does on others..

Basically well fed up that this has left me out of pocket, and cost  VM nothing..

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us. 

I can appreciate that it'd be frustrating having a sim that doesn't work in either of the phones. 

I know you have now purchased two new handsets, however we would run through diagnostics with our customers having these problems, and if we are unable to resolve it then we can look at an alternative handset. 

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

'however we would run through diagnostics with our customers having these problems'

Sadly, time is the missing ingredient here...the sims were received 10 days ago, we were told to swap them as soon as possible, which we tried to do.

789 were useless, in both cases, and waiting fro an answer from this forum is like playing Russian roulette...

Both phones were essential to their user, and time wasn't something we had loads of, as we were told the sims would be inactive in not swapped within 10 days...

Basically, we bit the bullet and got 2 new phones, because it means we are now going to swap provider once the credit on these 2 runs out, along with the other PAYG that did migrate, and the 2 pay monthly sims  we have will follow. 

VM have little interest in customers unless they can squeeze more money out of them, and there must be a large number of us (check the posts) who are in the same boat, yet VM just say 'buy another phone'

To be honest, this should never have happened, VM should have checked that these new sims were compatible, before issuing them. One can only assume they couldn't be bothered to see if they were compatible with older phones, hoping that they could force customers to purchase newer ones from VM.. 

This, sadly has been one step too far for me, and as stated, will soon be looking for 5 PAC codes, and a new provider.

Interestingly, we have just been contacted by Fibrecity, who were in this area before lockdown installing new fibre optic cables in our whole area, and they are looking to provide a 1gig service shortly, so might be off to them with the broadband too...

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Morning HughJarsse, 

Really sorry that this isn't yet resolved and I can appreciate the frustration. 

Firstly you mentioned above that the old SIM card is still working, this shouldn't be the case and would lead me to believe that the new SIM card isn't active and it's something I'd like to check. 

If it is active and it's still not working in the handset then we'd do some further checks and look at offering you a replacement handset, we wouldn't expect you to be without service. 

Again I am so sorry for the experience with this and therefore I'm going to pop you a personal message and we can take it from there. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily, 

Just replied to the PM you sent.

Regarding the old  red sims, both are now no longer active, ans both of the purple sims are now active in the newly purchased phones. 

Neither purple sim would work in either original phone, and tried in vain to get help from VM, but time ran out, and to get the sims to work, we purchased new phones to replace the Nokia 100 (originally from VM) and the Samsung (bought sim free, but using a VM sim) 

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Quick update..

Emma_C has sorted the two phones, (sort of!!) in as much as she got me a refund on the wife's nokia 100 replacement I had to buy,

and also made a part refund for the daughters Samsung that wouldn't work as well, so  somewhat happier now, thanks to Emma, 

VM please take note....get Emma_C to train the customer service staff......there would be a lot more happy customers!!

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Glad I was able to help with this @HughJarsse, thanks for your patience and sticking with us on this one. 

We're around if you need anything else 🙂

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos