Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New sim sent to address I cant reach

Hi

As part of the sim upgrade within the virgin network, I received a text telling me to insert my new sim very soon.

Apparently the sim has been sent without warning me first, which as we'll see was the first mistake.

As a matter of fact, with the pandemic going around the globe, I am stuck out of the UK for a while and cannot acces the mail that was sent to my London address.

Had i been warned of the dispatch of that sim, i would have contacted someone to change the address (or at least tried to contact, seeing how it is difficult to contact anyone from virgin at the moment...)

So my question is: can someone from virgin contact me to see if another "new" sim can be sent again, but this time in France, where I will be residing for the foreseeable future, a lockdown/curfew being still active. I mean, if my bank can send me a credit card abroad, i hope virgin can do the same for a simple sim card...

Looking forward to hearing back from virgin,

Cheers. ..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim sent to address I cant reach

The sim has to be activated in the UK, you would need to get it sent to friends/family who would then have to put it in their phone, activate it and send it on to you

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@dannylau wrote:

The sim has to be activated in the UK, you would need to get it sent to friends/family who would then have to put it in their phone, activate it and send it on to you

not sure that 100% true as there is a post on here [somewhere] that says a sim was sent out pre activated - however afaik they will only post to a UK address

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Most SIMs are sent out for 'self activation' as that ensures that you don't lose service on your existing SIM. This includes for the new SIMs the swap. That activation has to happen in the UK, it won't work abroad.

However it is possible to send them out pre-activated. Usually that's where a SIM as been lost or stolen as it immediately deactivates the existing SIM. However what I'm not sure if only then using it abroad works or whether Virgin Mobile would still need to see the SIM active in the UK once before roaming would work.

But as said, whichever version it is it has to go to a UK address.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi JulienD83,

Thanks for your post and I am sorry to hear this, we have migrated our service over and sending new sims, we can only send to a UK address.

thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos