Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

New sim not working

I changed mobile contracts within Virgin  to get a better deal and they said I had to have a new sim card.  When it arrived I removed the old card which had worked perfectly well on the old contract and went through the activation process.  I got an upbeat text message saying all was up and running, to be followed by another saying the sim could not be activated and to ring 789 from the old sim. We live in a rural area with a hopelessly intermittent signal so phoning with the mobile was not an option so I had to phone them from the landline.  The operator seemed to have little understanding of being in an area with a poor signal, initially assuming that was the problem then agreeing to send a new card.  It arrived today so I put it in and specifically drove to a place where I know there is a signal.  No action showing on the phone - no notification or texts/mobile data working.  I know it can take up to 24 hrs to activate but this is not looking good and I feel sure another tedious landline call will have to take place tomorrow. In the meantime I have no mobile connection when I am out and am not at all happy about this.  Any advice welcomed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim not working

Maybe experiencing the problems that many of us are facing with these Purple SIM cards.  However, Virgin mobile states everything is working fine...but it's not

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Purple-SIM-data-problem/td-p/4053107/highlight/fa...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim not working

I phoned them again today and got someone who knew what he was talking about.  He asked for the number of the sim card and immediately registered it.  Bingo - everything worked.  The advice that comes with the sim about registering does not work and, whilst grateful that he could sort it, I was very unhappy to have spent so much time trying to get it working and having to listen to other operatives who seemed to think the problem was at my end.  After the year's contract is up, I'm not guaranteeing to stay with Virgin.

0 Kudos