Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 51 of 82
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim not valid problem

Virgin have successfully disabled my Nokia 1616 by issuing a new sim card that does not work.  My phone now comes up with message 'sim not valid'

Customer Services are unable to offer any help other than stating that I should wait 24hrs to see if the fault resolves itself.

Will Virgin be offering a payment to cover my purchase of a new phone.

I cannot believe that such a successful company can have got this so wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 52 of 82
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Osborne42 and welcome to our community.

So we can do more checks for this, do you know the IMEI number? Please don't post this publicly I just need to confirm you have this to hand and then I'll pop you over a private message to pass security so we can get an unlock code for the handset in question.

Did you get the handset from us as well? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 53 of 82
Flag for a moderator

Hi.  I have just recievied a new sim that Virgin sent out.
When I put it into my phone all I get is a Sim Not valid error message.  I have power cycled many times and tried to reseat the sim many times.  It has no effect.  Typing in the unlock code also did nothing other than clear the screen and give me "sim not valid again".  I have tried this code only 1 time.

I put my old sim back in and my phone works fine again.

My device is a nokia 2310 purchased from Virgin. (its old)
I have my IMEI and account details.

I have tried calling 789 multiple times and just end up sat listening to a voice telling me to try the internet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 54 of 82
Flag for a moderator

No problem, I'll pop you over a private message so we can pass security on the account and check this for you.

Thanks, Emily.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 55 of 82
Flag for a moderator

Hello - Is "SIM not valid" the same as "Network Key?" I posted a separate message about this problem with a new sim on my elderly neighbours phone last Wednesday but haven't had a reply but I see Virgin team members are active on this thread. Sorry to but in but can someone help please? thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 56 of 82
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for any delay getting back to you ppJuneB. I've responded to your thread now, and hope to hear back from you soon. 

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 57 of 82
Flag for a moderator

I did a lot of looking into the Nokia unlocking issues as it affects me. Affected Nokias are hardlocked using software. An unlocking code won't work on these and repeated attempts will disable the phone. The only way to unlock these Nokias is to download new software into the handset (it's probably easier to just get a new handset). I don't think VM understood this about locked Nokia handsets. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 58 of 82
Flag for a moderator

Hi Messybeast, I'm unsure about that - the code we provided seemed to do the trick here.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 59 of 82
Flag for a moderator

We found the only way for the new sim to work was to purchase a newer model phone for my 91 year old grandmother. We ended up getting a Nokia 105 (2019). Virgin sent 2 SIMs this did not resolve the issue with the old phone. I thought I would post this incase it helps anyone else as I wasted a lot of time trying to resolve it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 60 of 82
Flag for a moderator

We did the same thing. 

Don't waste time with old Nokia phones

0 Kudos