Menu
senti
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New sim network unlock code

Ok ive been with virgin for 3-4 years with a old sim, recently had to swap sim to the new sim card. When i popped the new simcard in my mobile it was saying network locked sim card inserted and asking for a code. I believed this was the code that came with the sim so i tried to enter that and it failed twice and is now saying "Enter MCK Network unlock code blocked. Too many incorrect attempts"

Firstly how can my mobile phone be locked to another network when i have been using a virgin sim in my mobile for man years now. After doing some digging i read that old virgin sims were actually on the EE network? So maybe its to do with that. Anyhow i want to know how to get this resolved as i need a working mobile phone like any normal person.

Phone is a samsung s10+ , purchased via ebay.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim network unlock code

Hello

The old SIMs were EE rebranded and potentially the phone was network locked to the EE network, as the new SIMs are VM's own network although still uses the EE network at this time.

If the network unlock is entered too many times and that has now frozen the phone, you need to find who the phone was originally purchased from as you now need MCK Mastercode also known as an unfreeze code i.e. which telephone company ! Was it bought as a VM phone or another one ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
senti
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The phone was purchased via ebay 2nd hand although was basically brand new. Either way it was working with my old virgin sim, this is extremely frustrating. I heard that virgin request MCK codes on your behalf to samsung. Ive been without a working phone now for a week.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yeah only if the phone was purchased from VM or is a VM phone originally.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
senti
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok so let me get this straight. Virgin force me to use a new sim i never asked for. Not to mention they cut my old sim off without even sending me the new sim. So ive been without a phone since then. But once it arrives i enter it into my mobile and now my mobile is suddenly locked and your telling me thats my own fault and virgin cant help me at all? This is some kind of joke? lol

0 Kudos
senti
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ok so i just called samsung, they said go through your network carrier to get the MCK code even though it was purchased from the samsung website. So now i expect VM to assist me

Thanks

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Nope. You bought a phone on ebay. It looks likely that the phone was locked to only run on EE based SIM cards. 

If it was purchased from the Samsung Website it would not be locked. So which was it ebay or Samsung 

It would have been locked by the network on which it was first purchased. As no S10 phones were locked by Virgin it looks very likely it was locked by EE themselves.

As you are SIM only Virgin have no responsibility over your phone. If their SIM works in an unlocked phone then they have fulfilled their part of the contract.

If you try to move to the likes of a Vodafone, O2 or Three based SIM then you will have the same problem.

0 Kudos
senti
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Honestly i dont care who it was locked by, what i need is someone who can assist me on what to do, i pay virgin every month for a service and i expect support on that service not to be told we have filled our side of the deal its your own fault now. If that is the case then ill happily leave, what a joke of customer service

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Senti.

I can see Emma is already assisting over a private message and we do ask that you keep the query to one thread to avoid confusion.

If you have any follow up question please feel free to respond to Emma.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos