Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

New sim keeps searching.

I received a swap sim recently. The phone accepts the sim but it keeps searching for the 4G network continuously. The 4G signal is strong in my location.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim keeps searching.

Thanks for the post Jeff_Reeves.

Can we please confirm if you're still having some trouble accessing the 4G with your new SIM?

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes I still have the SIM searching continually problem. When switching the iPhone 6 off and on the message "SIM locked" appears and after entering the unlock code the "SIM searching" message appears in the top left corner of the phone. I think I need another swap SIM from Virgin Mobile but there is no way for me to make contact with them at present. I have been paying the monthly charge for several months with no service. I am not happy.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hate to say it but it sounds like your iPhone is Network Locked. Until recently iPhone automatically locked to the first SIM inserted.

The new SIM card show a different network to the old ones, hence this problem.

Either try the SIM in a different unlocked phone or borrow a SIM on any non EE based network to see if it does the same

Will prove for certain one way or the other.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for confirming, did you get the handset from ourselves or from a third party? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks enlli,

I tried the sim with another iPhone 6 and it said "no service". Oddly, the sim back in the "new" iPhone 6 also said "no service" rather than "searching". I guess I have to get back to the supplier of the phone unless you have a better idea.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emily,

The handset was purchased from a third party. The sad story is that my son Tim who was in my family group died from cancer in March and I was attempting to include my daughter Kate in the group instead of Tim. Unfortunately Tim's phone was damaged when he died so I had to buy another one.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jeff_Reeves, 

Thanks for replying. 

I am truly sorry to hear about your recent loss and on behalf of Virgin Media I do send my condolences.

From what you've said so far it could certainly be a SIM card issue and I'm keen to know more so we can get this sorted. 

I'm going to pop you a personal message and get the ball rolling. 

In the meantime can I just ask you to check that the SIM is inserted correctly and the right way round, sometimes they can be very temperamental. 

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.   

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am now certain that the iPhone 6 that keeps searching was not Network Unlocked when I received it despite the advertising by eBay. 

I have been unable to contact the supplier but a local repair shop suggested that Virgin would be able to tell me how to do the unlocking myself.

Cab you help me with that ?

Jeff Reeves

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Having checked Apple Support I have now looked at Settings - General on the iPhone 6 that keeps searching and I see that The Carrier is Virgin 3.6 but the Network is Not Available. It seems to me that the phone is not Network Locked but can't find the Virgin 4G signal. Maybe I do need a new sim.

Jeff

0 Kudos