Menu
maturesoccerfan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New sim card

My pay as I go mobile is now ancient. Must be 15 years old. It worked fine with calls and texts but was planning to replace it sometime last year. Then lockdown happened so I decided to keep this old phone - it still worked. Then Virgin sent me a replacement sim card as you seemed to have switched to T Mobile.

Since then, the phone hasn't  worked properly. After a couple of minutes it keeps cutting out and rebooting or turning off. Wasn't too concerned as due to lockdown, am not going anywhere and thought it was my phone wearing out. I just tried the sim in a different phone that had been working fine and exactly the same problem happened. This newer phone kept cutting out, rebooting and turning off. Is this a defective sim? Can I get  replacement? If so how.

Thanks in advance for responses. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New sim card

There is been no T-Mobile in the UK since 2010. 

Virgin UK run off its successor, EE although that changes this year with a move to Vodafone. That said I know some old phones tend to display T-Mobile.

You don't say what make and model but a number of older phones ( especially those running Symbian / Java firmware) don't work well with the more modern SIM cards.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

maturesoccerfan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your prompt response. Not the reply I was hoping for as I thought I just had a defective SIM. The phone is an ancient Samsung that cost me £15 which included £10 credit on pay as you go. The other phone I tried it on is 12 years old and that also came as T-Mobile and kept cutting out. Looks like I will have to get me a new phone. I was planning on hanging on with this one for a bit longer until all shop staff have all had their jabs and I can get to the high streets.
Wonder why these old phones now show T-Mobile? Very strange.
Anyway, thanks again for your helpful reply. Appreciated.
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The old phones read the network number to which the SIM is connected. This number has been reallocated. More modern phones can override that and display Virgin. 

Sounds like they are both sybian phones. I can check if you have the model numbers

Virgin SIM cards are a bit unique and that is why some networks cards will work and not others.

If you do go for a new phone I would suggest you get one that can connect to 4G as 3G is likely to be switched off next year. 2G will continue for a while yet as it is used in smart meters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

maturesoccerfan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this info. Much appreciated. I think my next phone will be one of the latest models so may even be something called 5G but will be at least one of the later 4G models. Shame about my old phone. For calls and texts it still works as good as new, looks as good as new, and the battery life is the same as it always was before needing a recharge.. Sham it only works for 2 minutes before cutting out and rebooting. At least it keeps the phone calls short!!
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Actually, there are some pretty basic but adequate phones around now and not overly expensive.

I doubt Virgin will do 5G on PAYG, certainly not till after the move to Vodafone 

maturesoccerfan
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK thanks. The way things are moving with latest technology including e-tickets, track and trace, Covid-19 vaccine passports etc etc I suspect that I will need a 'smart' (they really are not that clever) phone on a monthly contract. Won't need 5G for my likely use but I will go for one of the latest models. The choice available these days makes my brain hurt!!!!!
0 Kudos