Menu
ajnp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New sim card not valid

My wife and I have old Nokia mobiles (models 1112 and 2310) which have always worked well on a pay as you go program. We have both received new (purple) SIM cards. If I insert them both read 'SIM not valid'.  When I eventually got through to VM on the phone I was told they had reset the security (?) for me and they would now work - and rang off before I could check anything. The new sims are still 'not valid', but at least the old red SIMS still work - but for how long?. Is the simple solution to abandon VM (and the money on the phones) for another network? I am very tempted to do so!

ajnp

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim card not valid

Good Morning ajnp,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see you've been struggling with the new SIM cards, is this issue still on going or has this now been resolved?

It sounds very much like you will need to have the handsets unlocked as they may be locked to another network - this could even be EE if the handsets were purchased from us as the Red SIM cards were EE hosted, as oppose to the new Purple SIM cards that are controlled by Virgin Media

Was this discussed with you over the phone? If so, were you issued with the unlock codes?

It would also be handy to know if the handsets are touchscreen phones or if they have physical buttons, please advise me further if you require assistance

Kindest regards,

David

0 Kudos
ajnp
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Good morning, David,

Thank you very much for this helpful reply.

We bought the phones so long ago that I can't remember where they came from, though I am pretty sure mine came from the local Carphone Warehouse. I don't remember any details or any problems about setting them up - but I don't think EE existed then They are push-button handsets (my fingers won't really do touchscreens any more)..

I have tried unlocking them but it didn't work. I tried discussing it over the phone with VM but when I eventually got through they were not helpful and finished the conversation before the problem was solved.

I gather from other conversations on the Forum that the new VM cards won't work with old Nokias so I was planning to cut our losses (between us we have about £30 credit on the cards) and buy new phones, but talking to a very helpful person at Carphone Warehouse (so unlike Virgin!) he said I could simply buy new SIMs with a different provider and told me how to keep the existing numbers (a major concern). He suggested going to Tesco and buying a SIM for 99p but we are still having to shield for medical reasons so I can't go to the shops and SIMs do not appear on Tesco's delivery lists. Now I intend to buy new SIMs online from Carphone (probably with top-up from EE or Vodaphone) and say goodbye to Virgin with a big sigh of relief!

Thanks for your help. 

John (ajnp).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Very sorry that this still isn't sorted and we certainly wouldn't want you to leave. 

We do have other option available so I'd love to pop you a personal message and grab some details. 

I'll do this now and get the ball rolling.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos