Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New sim card makes my phone constantly cut out.

I just have a basic old phone. I put in the new sim that was sent to me yesterday and since then my phone has been cutting out every minute or so. This means that the battery keeps draining because it has to switch itself on all the time.

I am wondering whether this is because all the new features which the new sim brought - and which are useless to me as my phone doesn't do anything other than text and phone - are overloading my poor old phone or are incompatible.

I wish I had left the old sim in now.  Never had any trouble before.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim card makes my phone constantly cut out.

I'm afraid staying with the old SIM was not an option.

But it is true that some older phones, particularly those running the old Java / Symbian firmware, run into problems. 

If you tell me the make and model, I can soon check.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. All I can say is that it is a Samsung. It doesn't have a model number on it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hard to say, but probably the dreaded Symbia Firmware in some form.

I think you probably need to look at your options which boil down to 

1  Update the phone

2. Change network 

I can't say too much but if you are on PAYG then 2 as it is no secret that Virgin are phasing out PAYG sometime in the none too distant future.

It appears your phone is not network locked so you have a good choice, but if your phone is 2G then steer clear of anything that runs on Three

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from doing both

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your advice, but it seems bizarre that because I followed orders and put this new sim card in my phone, I must now change my network. Why is there not a warning about this beforehand? 'Not compatible with old phones.' Not all of us want to waste resources getting new phones every year. But thanks anyway.
0 Kudos