Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New sim DOA

Got new SIM in post. Does not work. No signal bars. No enter PIN code box. No response from it at all.

Old SIM works fine.

My phone is an LG K8. It does not have 5G and I have no interest in 5G anyway.

The phone is carrier unlocked.

If my old sim gets cutoff and this new one isn't working, I am switching networks altogether.

Good day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim DOA

Seeing the old SIM is working have you carried out the instructions in the letter and been given a date for the swap?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It has no date for a swap, It just says (in bold letters) Please do this as soon as possible. Place SIM in phone and wait 10 minutes or less. You should get a text to confirm it has activated.

It has no signal at all so I can't see it getting a text anytime soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How do I go about contacting virgin to sort this out? The help page on the mobile site isn't helpful at all and has no contact details, It just redirects me here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the post Djdat.

Have you been in touch with the team since your post or has your SIM card started working since then? 

Does this just show as NO SIM or are there any error messages or codes?

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well, I spoke online to the support team, The sim was not activated (the letter it came in did not state this, Nor did it state anything about a switchover, It just said pop it in the phone and wait 10 mins)

So the sim was activated. And apparently my phone is locked because it didn't work even after that.

I went online to find an unlocking service. Of the 6 different ones I tried, None of them could unlock the device.

So I have had to buy a new secondhand phone. Still waiting for it's delivery. So I am still without a phone.

I am not happy with the way virgin has handled this at all. No one mentioned a thing about networks being changed, Either in the letter or even when I spoke to support and they activated the sim.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The Unlock code for that particular phone should be available from the network that originally did the lock, although they may have to get it from LG. 

Looks like the phone will run on any EE based network so it will be EE or one of its MNVO networks

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The phone was secondhand so I don't have a receipt for it anymore. I know it is locked to EE as I looked up the IMEI number.

The responses I got from the unlocking shops was 'We can't find your IMEI in our database'

0 Kudos