Menu
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

New purple SIM problem.......

OK, so.......Was sent a new purple sim to replace the good old red one...letter and sim arrived today. 

Now the phone it is for, is an older Blackberry model 8310 on PAYG, which 'was' working wonderfully well, and did calls, texts and data, no problem.

Replaced the red sim with the purple one, switched on, and........hey presto (or..so it seemed!!)

Within minutes, the 'woohoo, your new sim is now up and running, and your old sim will not work any longer' text came up...So, 'all is OK' methinks.

Err, no, it's not. noticed that the network is now 'T-mobile UK' and not 'Virgin' which is what it was before? now, it also appears that I cannot send/receive texts or calls, where I could on the old sim!! 

Now this phone is a 'work' phone, so really needs to be operational..

Strangely enough, my personal phone is a Blackberry too but a newer 'smartphone' type, and as its on monthly rolling contract, had the new purple sim last week, and that works OK. It actually shows Virgin as the network carrier...unlike the 8310 which DID, but doesn't now...

Have reset the 8310 twice,but still insists it's T-mobile UK.

Tried a manual 'manual search' for network, and get..'T-mobile UK'... 'O2 UK' ... 'Vodafone UK' as the only choices... so..currently 'stuck' without a work phone, as now old sim will not work, as 'dead' and 'new' sim wont make calls/texts....

Nice One VM....Thanks a bunch.....

Now I've got 3 more PAYG phones, currently on VM, non of them 'smartphones' and they also have to have purple sims, apparently...If this is going to happen with them as well, VM will lose my custom, and I'll take the 5 phones elsewhere....

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: New purple SIM problem.......

To be honest. Virgin have stopped doing PAYG SIM cards. They have also put up the prices on PAYG tariffs. (Have you looked) 

I would say they are not too bothered about losing PAYG customers.

O2 seem to be taking the same route. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

the ones in question are 'legacy' PAYG (ie: 8p-8p ones)   3 of them, 2 are monthly contract..

If VM are not really concerned about them, then fair enough.

BUT..if I remove the 5 phones, they will also lose the whole package I have with BB/TV/phone, which currently adds up to over £150 per month, (without the 2 contract sim's. which only need 30 days notice to terminate) 

Have checked out the local BT services, and could get almost the same BB speeds as I get here (not what I pay for!!) for less, and the phone as well..

Bad customer attitude seems the norm for VM,  the 'aren't interested, don't want to know, couldn't care less' attitude.

Sadly, if this phone and the wife's nokia 100 won't work on VM, more than happy to go elsewhere, with the whole package, VM's loss..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So,  4 days later, and...nothing. 

I have refused to buy another phone, just to use this 'new' sim...so have had to purchase a '3' payg sim, for £0.99p to get the work phone going, and sort out letting everyone know the new number..

Works a treat on the blackberry, no problems at all.. The VM sim has around £9.00 of credit on it, but I can't use it??

Assume VM will 'help themselves' to it, if I can't use the sim??

Tried phoning 789 to get some sort of help, but gave up after waiting over 15 minutes for someone to answer...

Might as well take all the sims I have and transfer them to '3' who seem a 1000% more helpful than VM...  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you put the SIM into the working Blackbery then you can text for a PAC code to give to 3 No need then to change number

Text PAC followed by your date of birth in DD/MM/YYYY format to 65075 to receive a PAC Code from Virgin. By Phone

Only takes a couple of minutes, and then you can swap SIMs back

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Having spent a while telling everyone my new '3' number, why on earth should I now transfer the number back??

Just so annoyed that VM have done this, and refuse to even get involved in sorting it.

Also, even if I get a PAC and swap the number to '3' what about the credit on the VM sim, they sure as heck ain't gonna transfer that as well are they now??

No, VM just keep it zipped up, take the money and say nothing....

As mentioned, there are 3 other PAYG 'older' phones on my account, and I'm not going to chance losing their credit by swapping the sims  and 'hoping' they work. Will just run the credit out on them, then just get '3' sims for them and PAC them when there is no credit left...

Looking at moving the other 30 day rolling contract ones as well, don't see why VM should pick and choose what they want to support.

As other VM services (TV, BB and phone) are all out of contract, can give 30 days notice, and move the lot. All or nothing VM, If they don't want 'older' phones, then they won't have anything...£150+ per month going to someone who WILL provide a service to ALL customers, not just a select few....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@HughJarsse wrote:
[snip]

As other VM services (TV, BB and phone) are all out of contract, can give 30 days notice, and move the lot. All or nothing VM, If they don't want 'older' phones, then they won't have anything...£150+ per month going to someone who WILL provide a service to ALL customers, not just a select few....

This could be a personal preference thing, but I've never understood bundling multiple services together for the sake of it. EE try to sell me home phone and broadband, but VM (currently) do a better job of this, so I politely turn such offers down.

VM repeatedly try to sell me mobile, but the reverse applies. Know what each supplier does best and choose the best price/package options as the second priority. Personal viewpoint, I'm sure some people are happy accepting inferior products if they're significantly cheaper!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi HughJarsse,

Thanks for posting and sorry it's not in better circumstances.

I'm sorry that you're not having problems using the new SIM that we've provided since putting it in your work phone. I would like to help you with this so you can continue to use our services. 

There are a few things I'd like to ask, so I can understand fully what is happening with your phone if that's okay.

Is your work phone unlocked to any network?

What do you see on the main screen of the phone when the SIM is in? Are there any error messages/exclamation marks?

Can you put your SIM card in your personal phone to see if it works okay with that handset?

Let me know those things and then I can look in to this further for you.

Thank you,

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If the sim doesn’t work how can you get a PAC code

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have had 2 new purple sims both not working I want my PAC number but can’t receive as SIM doesn’t work I am very disappointed with VM they don’t seem to want PAYG customers 

0 Kudos