Menu
JonDSE
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New purple SIM card not working in old EE Harrier phone

I'm not getting any joy from Virgin customer service, so I'll try posting here.

I was sent a new (purple) SIM card together with a letter explaining what to do at the end of June. I tried putting it in my phone (the SIM, not the letter), which is an old EE Harrier. This didn't work - I got a message saying something like "Enter SIM network unlock code". The letter suggested entering the number 7890, but that didn't work and I didn't want to try again as apparently I only get three attempts before the phone is locked.

I put my original SIM back in, logged into my Virgin mobile account and requested help. There has been none forthcoming yet. Still, it's only been three months...

This morning I received a text from Virgin saying my phone was going to stop working unless I put the new SIM card in.

I should add that my phone's IMEI number was not recognised by the not-very-useful Virgin online help pages.

What should I try next? There are EE unlock codes available on eBay for a few pounds - do I need to buy one of those? I don't really want to upgrade my phone as that's an expense I can't really afford at the moment.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New purple SIM card not working in old EE Harrier phone

As that phone came from EE, then they need to unlock it to work. There is nothing that Virgin Media can do as they did not supply the handset.

So if you can get a working unlock code, then the new SIM should work in the device
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
JonDSE
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

But it has been unlocked - I've been using the phone quite happily with Virgin for years.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@JonDSE wrote:

But it has been unlocked - I've been using the phone quite happily with Virgin for years.

And so it will because the old Virgin SIM cards were EE based. (Basically rebadged EE cards) so would work locked or not.  The new cards are Virgins own.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JonDSE
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much enlii, I didn't realise that the old Virgin SIM cards was actually EE based. That explains the problem. I can't help but feel that this sort of thing ought to be on the Virgin website! It's a strange site - obviously a lot of time and effort has been spent on it, but useful information is very thin on the ground.

Anyway, I phoned EE to see if I could get the phone unlocked, and they said that even though I was the person who originally bought the phone, because the account is old, I would have to go into an EE shop to get it unlocked (a bus journey away). Also, the EE shop might charge me £8.99. Frankly this old phone isn't worth that sort of money. I'll beg, borrow or steal another cast-off and try putting the dreaded purple SIM card in that.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi JonDSE, 

Really sorry that the new SIM isn't working in your current phone, this isn't good. 

What you have been advised above is all correct, you do need an unlocking code to get back up and running. This is usually a long number and not four digits like a pin number. 
/
Can I ask the make and model of the phone you're using so we can see how we can assist further?

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
JonDSE
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma. Thanks for taking an interest in my problem!

The phone is an EE Harrier (big one, not the Harrier mini).

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. 

So what I can do is try and get an unlocking code for you, if we hold it then we can give this to you. 

If we don't then we can possibly offer a replacement handset but I'll need to pop you a personal message first and grab some details. 

I'll do this now and I look forward to hearing back from you soon. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos