Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New phone takes different sim card

I need to purchase a new mobile. It takes a different sim card to my existing one. Old mobile takes Micro sim, new one is dual sim but takes Nano card.

What is the procedure for keeping same phone number and contacts as my existing Virgin Mobile? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New phone takes different sim card

Before you do anything just check your SIM is not one of the multi push out variety. You should see the score lines if it is.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it is. Is that going to be a problem? I've already resigned to the fact that my new mobile is dual sim and takes a Nano Card. So, I am only wanting to trasfer existing phone number and contact details to the new handset. I am unsure of the procedure.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If it is then all you have to do is press it out and put it in your new phone. That keeps your number the same.

Most  phones no longer keep contacts on the SIM transferring them will depend on the types of phone.

Mine are all kept on Google. When I changed my phone recently it was just a matter of restoring them.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ahh, OK. The issue I have is that my existing sim card is a micro, the new phone will be a nano card.

I'm assuming that the micro sim won't fit onto the nano slot.

So I was going to have to purchase a nano card and then transfer existing phone number and contacts from the micro sim onto the new nano card. That is the part I am unsure of.

To add a little more complexity to the problem, I am unable to access my current phone. The screen is dead (have tried all avenues to get screen running even though the phone itself seems ok).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi daisychaindaze,

Depending on the sim, it may be able to pop out in to a nano sim for the new handset.

If this is not he case, we can arrange to send you a new sim card.

Is your current handset from Virgin Media?  If so, is the screen damaged or just not blank/black? 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Nat

The phone, a Samsung s5 with a micro sim, is my own phone, handed down. I am just tied to Virgin for sim only. 

The screen has no visible damage. Phone still makes sounds when I get a new message or someone rings. Blue dot in right hand corner still glows. I have lost all interactivity with the screen, tried various reboots and starts but the phone screen remains black as coal.

Will be ordering a new phone, an unlocked Outikel WP5 (2020), and just want to keep same phone number and contacts. I've gone for that model because I am involved in a lot of out door activities (when things get back to 'normal') and water.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you 🙂 

With the sim, does it pop out in to a nano? It may be a little hard to see but if you look closely, it should have the outline for the nano sim. 

If not just let me know and we can get this ordered for you 🙂 

Nat
0 Kudos