Menu
GoonerKeith
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

New phone, free gift - or not...

My mobile phone contract with Virgin Media is coming to an end and it’s time to think about upgrading my phone.

I called Virgin Media today. To cut a long story short I settled on a Samsung Galaxy 6 along with a reasonable data/minutes rolling plan. The Virgin guy told me that this phone comes with a special offer - either a free Amazon Fire Tab 7 or a free Amazon Echo Dot. I’ve already got a 7 tablet so I said I’d go for the Dot, even though I would never think of buying one. It’s free so why not?

The guy had to do an obligatory credit check which came back clean and he said everything was fine, I’d get a new phone and sim card within 2 working days. Sounded good to me.

“Oh, hang on a sec,” he said, “it looks like we are out of stock of Amazon Dots.” “That’s OK,” I said, “send me one when you get some in stock, I’m not in a rush for it.”

Just a minute sir.” he said, and put me on hold.

After about 4 minutes he came back on the line. “I’m sorry sir, we don’t expect to get any new Dots into stock for maybe up to 6 weeks.”

“That’s OK, I told you I’m not in a hurry to get one. Just send me the phone and send the Dot when you get one.”

“That’s why I put you on hold sir,” he replied, “unfortunately, because the Dot is an integral part of the whole deal we can’t send the phone and the Dot in separate packages.”

“Which means I have to wait up to 6 weeks to receive my phone?” I asked incredulously.

“I’m afraid so.” he replied.

Needless to say, I told him to forget the whole thing, keep me on my rolling data contract for my old phone and I’ll be looking elsewhere.

Unbelievable. That’s one sale you’ve lost Virgin. No wonder you keep raising your prices.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: New phone, free gift - or not...

Hi GoonerKeith, 

I'm very sorry that the deal you wanted wasn't available, I can appreciate your frustration. 

Any deal with a free gift would only be available whilst we had the stock of the free gifts, I can only apologise this has been the case. 

We're always offering new deals with free gifts so I do hope that you may decide to pick one of these in the future. 

If you need any further help please let us know. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos