Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New network sim doesn't work

Hi, Virgin asked me to swap my sim for new network and now neither sims work. I followed instructions carefully and still doesn't work. I've not been asked to unlock anything. I bought my phone a few months ago (Samsung A50) from a reputable phone company and my previous virgin sim worked great. Why doesn't it work?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: New network sim doesn't work

Thank you for the post Sophie0153.

This would be a Virgin Media controlled SIM card so your handset may need an unlock code to begin using the migrated SIM card we've sent you. If you go this from us we would be able to offer this but as you got it from a third party you may need to contact them for this. 

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily, 

I got my phone from Carphone Warehouse in September. They're currently shut due to lockdown rules. My previous virgin sim worked great in this phone so wouldn't that mean it doesn't need to be unlocked? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Also, if this is the case, can virgin active my old sim until I can get this new one to work? I am a key worker and it has been a completely nightmare not being able to use my phone. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hard to say but I would think if it was bought SIM free from CPW it would be unlocked.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, it was sim free and the man on the counter put my virgin sim in and it worked. I don't remember this unlocking anything. Hmmmm. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Out old SIM cards were EE controlled whereas we now have our own SIM cards, so this would need unlocking if you activated your old Virgin Media SIM card on this. Carphone Warehouse should have some over the phone agents who may be able to help with this.

Once we send an updated SIM card out we're unable to switch this back to the old SIM as we don't work with these anymore.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have you got anyone with a SIM card on O2, Vodafone or Three, ID Mobile. If it works on one of them then it is definitely unlocked

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm so confused!

My phone was never locked to a network. Does this mean, since I put my old virgin sim into the new unlocked phone, it became locked EE? I have tried to get through to Carphone warehouse but they're all shut due to covid. I have no idea how I am supposed to fix this and still have no working phone. I tried putting the new sim into my friends unlocked phone and it didn't work. Does this prove anything? I will try a vodafone sim when I can. Have many other people had this problem?

Thank you,

Sophie 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If it didn't work in your friends phone then it sounds like the SIM has never been activated or is faulty.