Menu
Highlighted
Lotty321
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New iPhone returning to Virgin was stolen while with Royal Mail

I returned an iPhone during the 14 day cooling off period and it was stolen while in the care of the Royal Mail. About a week later the now empty phone box was returned to me with Royal Mail tape on it saying 'Found opened or damaged'. Contacted Virgin Mobile who said they would investigate, therefore I thought they would contact Royal Mail. However VMobile did nothing. I was told they do not have arrangements with Royal Mail for this situation and that I had to pay the full contract cost as the phone was not returned. I refused to do this and refused the £50 'goodwill credit'. The issue was escalated at Virgin Media (who deal with mobile finance) and they sent me a Deadlock letter advising I go to adjudicators CISAS. I contacted Royal Mail who told me I should not need to go to adjudication as Virgin Media (the retailer) does have an agreement with RM and it's Virgin Media's responsibility to contact RM. They stated I should not be liable for any costs. Royal Mail told me to go back to VM however I'm not sure I will get much further than last time.

So wondering if I should apply for adjudication as, if justice is done, VMedia should be found responsible for this situation. It's worth mentioning that Royal Mail told me that the return postage paid by Virgin only had insurance up to £100. I would guess this is the standard postage for all their returning phones, which is a major oversight as all their new phones are many £100's more.  

Found a Telegraph article suggesting contacting Virgin's chief executive Tom Mockridge as a possible avenue when attempting to resolve a dispute with the company. Getting desperate - any suggestions welcome, thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New iPhone returning to Virgin was stolen while with Royal Mail

Hi Lotty321,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm really sorry to hear that the handset has been lost by Royal Mail when you were sending it back to us. 

I will pop you a private message requesting some more information. Just click on the envelope icon at the top of the page.

Thanks,

Melissa_F

0 Kudos
Lotty321
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Update on this situation. Following an hour long phone call with Virgin on 28 January I have had the phone contract cancelled! I rang Virgin in reply to a short email I had received from them that morning saying the phone had been delivered to the returns centre. Somewhat confused I wondered how this could be? Having received back the damaged phone box with Royal Mail tape all over it, I felt sure the phone had been stolen while in transit. It was also clear Virgin were not prepared to give me any more detail other than confirming the phone had been returned. I would mention Virgin had said that they had received just packaging for the phone on 3 January, which was odd and at the time I thought this must be incorrect. However this could have been the grey plastic bag outer packaging which was not returned to me, and may have continued it’s journey, without contents, to Virgin.

I’m finding it difficult to find a scenario which explains what happened to the phone. With the information I have, I see two possibilities; in both someone did attempt to steal the phone at Royal Mail but was intercepted. The phone (maybe in it’s display box) and the grey plastic bag and the delivery box all got separated. The delivery box was sent back to me as it has my address on it, the grey plastic bag was sent on to Virgin as it has their address on it. Perhaps the Royal Mail did not know at first where the phone should go but found out eventually (maybe due to my query about the parcel?) and sent it to Virgin. The second possibility is that the phone, in it’s display box, was sent to Virgin in a resealed grey plastic bag. Virgin received this on 3 January but for some reason thought it was only packaging they had received, perhaps the phone had been separated from the return packaging and misplaced. Both scenarios improbable I know! Maybe I should ring Royal Mail again as they may have more information now...

It is great relief this is all over however the whole palaver has caused me a great deal of stress and wasted a lot of my time.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lotty321,

My apologies for what has happened with this. I'm glad to hear the team have got this sorted for you.

^Martin

0 Kudos
Lotty321
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martin,
Apologies for the long posts, it was a complicated situation which I still don't know what happened. I was just about to start my CISAS application when when I received the email from Virgin saying the phone had been returned.
Thanks for your comment.
Regards
0 Kudos